Dear David,

Thank you for your response. From what I gather, our (you and me) exchange was a determining point, as – in addition – we both demand technical accuracy: this implies that our exchange was not biased. (John Curan has added a key calendary point I will address later on).

All of us now know where we stand . I will cover it in five points that I will use for a page on the http://brasummit.org wiki.

- the wholization vs. internationalization
- the background
- irt. conceptuality
- irt. technicality
- conclusion

I will then intersperse comments in your input.

1. Wholization vs. internationalization

Until know (let us say, for common reference, until e-Snowden), the industry's strategy was "internationalization" (cf. Unicode explanation). This means to internationalize the US standards to colonize foreign industries. This is now switching to "wholization", which is our problem and is well introduced in ( http://www.research-degree-thesis.com/showinfo-154-1288914-0.html):

"Since the fast development of the wholization of globe financial market and electronic trade and communication technology, the market environments that global exchanges are facing have greatly changed. More and more exchanges switch from a governance structure based on traditional members cooperatives to for-profit companies to suit sharp competitive market conditions".

This boils down to the leading business stakeholders' hijacking of the world's digital synergy, i.e. the difference between the whole and global:
"whole = whole sum of the stakeholders’ outputs + synergy among all the stakeholders".
The added value  produced by people is sold to them: "if it’s free, you are the product". Why share in an enhanced cooperation when one can sell it?

This change (on which the ICANN business plan is based) is accepted as a fact by the members of the technical coalition initiative that is to adapt:
- the multi-stakeholder control from multilateral (governments and governmental specialized cooperations influenced by the USG)
- to a business coalition based upon technical necessities and the demands of "global communities" such as media, e-commerce, cyber-military procurement, social engineering, languages, sex, etc.

This adaptation has known different steps:
- RFC 6852 agreement to organize cooperation into coopetition (the term coalition is now used) on the technical (standards) and commercial (FRAND) areas.
- the e-Snowden saga that frees the cyber-military/security procurement business.
- the Montevideo declaration to politically establish the US stakeholders group (i.e. originating from the statUS-quo) as the founders, ensuring continuity.
- the Dilma Rousseff romance to obtain political support for the ICANN/IANA "globalization" and try to squeeze the various possible competing initiatives.

In order to have a chance of success that "Technical Coalition" strategy has to be inclusive both technically and conceptually. Your responses show that it is not.

2. Background

The WSIS:
- assigned us an esthetic: i.e. a "people centered, à caractére humain, centrada en la persona" Information Society.
- started its ethitechnic practice in calling for a multi-stakeholder cooperation process advised by dynamic coalitions gathering in the IGF.

There is a growing consensus of the world digisphere that the whole digital ecosystem governance is to be improved. There are three cultures involved:

1.1. yours: I understand as determined by Jon Postel's first (net centric) sentence of RFC 820 (1983): "The ARPANET community is making the transition from the ARPANET to the ARPA Internet." You managed its center of reference as an excellent IANA Director for years.

1.2. mine: I inherited it from Norman Hardy and Robert Tréhin. It is based upon the deployment of the (world centric) International Network (I note this as IntNet to differentiate it) by PTTs and some large and small private operators, competitively using the Tymnet architecture rather than the BBN one. I created the non-profit Intlnet (in 1978) in order to support its free open center of reference (INTLFILE) and its local relational space abstracts.

1.3. Civil Society: their concerns are Human Digital Rights, i.e. without denying the existence of various forms of Digital Rights, to make sure that these Human Digital Rights will not conflict with Human Rights. This is summarized in the precautionary principle ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precautionary_principle) that is statutory in the EU and constitutional in France. Not respecting it would, therefore, balkanize the internet.

3. irt. conceptuallity

The alternative boils down to: "either the internet model should beimposed on the world, or the internet model should adapt to the world?" You clearly show you favor the former choice  in:

1. considering the Internet as the ultimate reference. I talked and underlined that I talked about human digital names and numbers and of the labels of the root names. You understood DNS. For you the internet root is the unique reference point of the universe instead of being one of the 65,635 windows for the universe on the Internet DNS (RFC 1035).

2. I talked of the INTLFILE as the open repository of the roots of the human digital names and numbers. You doubted it because the authors of its IANA abstract did not acknowledge the names of those who selected the labels they used.

3. You did not care about the other architectonical needs that they might have the Internet root file does not address (in spite of the RFC 1236 example).

4. irt. technicallity

I proposed you(and documented why the ICANN/IANA globalization called for Civil Society to be a leading stakeholder in the technical solution) to work on that solution. This is because "code is law" and the IANA is the core of the code. Anything the stakeholders may discuss, anytime, anywhere will necessarily depend on the technical reference center of the technology they are discussing, because "code is law".

You and I have certainly the deepest experience in the matter, hence the strongest obligation to participate in this effort and to see this discussion located at the best place in the Technical and Political agora. In spite of my indication that experience on the IETF and IUCG both sides was currently leading to a possible convergence, subject to the interest of ISOC, you are not interested.

I can only read your response as a technico-cultural disinterest in an evolution of the IANA because you consider the effort useless, or out of the common agenda. And even perhaps as an opposition because you deliberately increase the chances that mistakes are made in conceiving that evolution if we miss your experience.

5. Conclusion

The only conclusion I can draft from this is that ICANN/IANA technical globalization is not on the agenda of the Technical Coalition culture. The matter is only the governance and not the cyberspace, the architecture of which affects the governance, security among the whole digital ecosystem, and mutual trust within the digisphere.

We, therefore, have documented and illustrated together, at its very core, the reality of the power-grab attempts of the Technical Coalition members that is discussed, on the Internet infra and meta structures (hardware and protocols). What is interesting is that this is really a technical power-grab and not a money-grab, which raises several questions on the different agendas.

jfc

PS. the respective nature of the INTLFILE and of the IANA, their affiliation, and their histories through RFCs are of interest to understand the architectural limitations, the possible architectonical evolutions of the Internet, and their impact on the Human Digital Rights (and possibly on Digital Human Rights, i.e. extensions to the HR due to the societal extensions, or to incidental constrains). This calls for a critical technical investigation to be conducted with the utmost accuracy (as technical concerns may have changed over decades). It will be a part of the architectonical work in which I am engaged ( http://iucg.org/wiki/INTLFILE/IANA).