Hi Alex,

On Feb 24, 2014, at 8:19 PM, Alex Gakuru <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Removing Hago as the grievance subject for just a moment, he raises an interesting question.
>
> Is ICANN, as a US body corporate duty, bound (under US law) to distance itself from dealings with countries USG has placed embargo on?

Yes, I believe this to be the case (at least I would hope so if California State laws are applicable to ICANN as a non-profit public benefit corporation). However, I do not believe that because this is so, that it is as simple as “distance itself from dealings with countries USG has placed embargo on”. I’m not an expert by any measure, but still believe this to be too broad and generalised…, at least using the case of Sudan as an example.

> What would be the applicable policy and practice under the circumstances?

That would be the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC). I believe ICANN is required to get OFAC clearance when funding individuals from countries where there are economic and trade sanctions. In the case of Sudan, for example, I believe this is limited to funding trade initiatives and government projects, but not civil society and individuals. I probably need to read more on this to give a better informed response, but you can check http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/sudan.pdf for yourself.

Thanks.

Amr