On legitimacy (which you seem to understand very well for your question is an apt one):

Political representation is no different than linguistic representation. There is always a gap between between the "representant" (french native speaker here) and what (or who) is being represented. Thus, legitimacy is always claimed but the represented is never perfectly represented (if that gap did not exist, there would be no political power, but I digress).

Legitimacy is easier claimed than contested, that is because it is rather inelastic : you need to change a lot of legitimacy value before the individuals start to act differently towards those who claim to represent them legitimately.  And that is why revolutions are legitimate even though they are a breaking action with regard the established/claimed representation and the people that are being represented (claimed legitimacy). Revolutions are a contest of legitimacy assertion. The political game around legitimacy (and authority) is one of assertion. It is a never-ending game, even though the swings are inelastically produced by that game. It is played with words mostly, and by answering the type of question you ask.

So, where do we get our legitimacy from indeed? I would say from the fact that Internet is a global something, IANA should be understood as a global something, and the legitimacy-giving atom (or represent[or]) is precisely individuals from civil society. In my opinion this requires we give the object of political assertion a certain type of definition, declare it a certain type of phenomena. But it's been a long time since I thought about those things ...

Nicolas