Bill,

So your actual concern  is not anything substantive, but whether we are being isolated politically. First, I think we need to lead, not follow. If we can see dangers and accountability problems in handing the IANA functions to ICANN without any safeguards, and other members of the community can't, it is our job as civil society to raise that issue. Whether we are isolated or not. Second, I suspect that the community is highly divided on this issue, we are not isolated at all; there are numerous supporters among the ccTLDs, registries, civil society groups.

From: William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:35 PM
To: Milton L Mueller
Cc: NCSG Members
Subject: Re: [NCSG-Discuss] Joint SO/AC/SG Statement on IANA

Hi M

On Mar 21, 2014, at 11:16 AM, Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Sorry, Bill, we still haven't heard any objections

Yes you have, from me

and we need to move fast, as you know.

This is not true, it can wait a couple days, and there is no reason we shouldn’t be able to talk about it in the PC meeting, that’s why we have meetings.

Either advance an argument against the proposal (other than that your friends inside ICANN don't want us to say this because they don't want to be accountable), or let it go.

Thank you for the characteristically self serving misrepresentation.   So I’m a shill for nonaccountability.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the fifth principle but would like open discussion of its implications before we decide that it needs to be said now at this sensitive moment.  But ok, let’s ram through a text with the expressed support of half the PC and little real debate and buy in among the membership.  As long as NCSG appears to be telling the world that it must adopt the Milton plan, it’s all good, even if that isolates NCSG politically, in the community, not just with people ‘inside’.