Hi people,

Regarding NCUC's (or NCSG's) position regarding the
internationalization/globalization of Icann and the transition of the
IANA functions, CGI.br has done a contribution to NetMundial (attached),
and I highlight some portions which may be relevant to what was
discussed in the Policy Committee yesterday and our ongoing discussions
on these issues.

The proposals from CGI.br, and I quote, "bear on the assumption that
ICANN should be the responsible institution within the Internet
governance ecosystem for the assignment of names and numbers, including
the full spectrum of the IANA functions. CGI.br understands that the
maintenance of ICANN as a focal point for those activities is the best
alternative for the assurance of a unique and global Internet, for it
has the established technical capacity and the policy-making mechanisms
that can keep the Internet running without compromising its availability
in the furtherance of current global Internet governance discussion
fora, such as NetMundial and IGF. It does not mean that ICANN’s
operation and its governance system are to remain unchallenged. It
simply means that it is better to count on a fully established system to
be enhanced than to start a whole system from scratch."

Our (CGI.br) vision regarding Icann's internationalization is that the
steps so far they have been focused mainly on the operational level of
its mandate. "Far more important than those efforts is placing ICANN
under a new international legal-institutional framework that replaces
the current contract (the Affirmation of Commitments) with the USA
government and removes ICANN's direct or indirect subordination to the
US legal system. In realistic terms, this goal may be achieved within a
5 to 10 years time frame, following a sequence of steps that are still
to be devised, following a roadmap for the international Internet
governance ecosystem that is expected as one of the outcomes of
multistakeholder fora like NetMundial, IGF, and others." Please note
that this contribution has been written before the NTIA announcement, so
maybe this decision will impact on the mentioned time frames.

CGI.br quotes the example of the coordination in practice of
distribution of IP addresses as an input for us to think about the IANA
transition. I quote again: "one of the main IANA functions is the global
coordination of the allocation and registration of IP addresses. ICANN
is still legally responsible for this function, but its practical
execution is completely decentralized by the global structure of five
different Regional Internet Registries (RIRs). These RIRs have in turn
created a coordination forum - the Number Resource Organization (NRO).
The RIRs and the NRO coordinate the process of distribution of IPv4 and
IPv6 blocks, also taking into account a well designed and consensual
strategy for the transition of the number resources. CGI.br strongly
believes that this is a very good example of how other IANA functions
can be decentralized and delegated, without removing the overall
institutional responsibility of ICANN over those functions. It also
serves as a very suitable model for the internationalization of IANA
functions."

Also, and quoting again: "In the search of an adequate legal and
institutional framework that replaces the current contract with the US
government, it will be extremely relevant to decide which entity, or set
of entities, will be made responsible for the management of the root
zone file, such as to guarantee its stability, security, and
reliability. An adequate direction for that matter can be the assignment
of this task to a set of international entities (in a way similar to the
RIRs/NRO structure for IP allocation) that are already responsible for
other aspects of the Internet governance, that operate in a
well-balanced multistakeholder model, and that bear the required
technical qualifications."

Regarding Robin's very relevant concerns on accountability, this is what
CGI.br has to say: "Within democratic political institutions... vertical
and horizontal accountability are two different components of overall
accountability. Vertical accountability means that each specific organ
within the ICANN chart has to be fully accountable to its direct
constituents. Horizontal accountability means that, within the ICANN
system, every single organ has to be fully accountable to all others as
well. And all of the system has to be fully accountable to Internet
users in general, in a reliable, open and transparent, and timely
manner. How can ICANN, in an international legal and institutional
framework different from the AoC and from the current bylaws that guide
the corporation, be accountable to the public interest, represented by
all end users of the Internet, in a way that is consistent with
universally accepted principles of use and governance of the Internet
which respect fundamental human rights and promote social, economic, and
cultural progress of citizens of all countries?"

I think this contribution is reasonably compatible with what NCSG is
proposing. Of course we do not agree to any operational entity run by
registries to take over IANA, but we believe there may be a structure
similar to NRO as described above which could run the other IANA
functions under a similar relationship with ICANN.

fraternal regards

--c.a.