Hi everyone,

Quite important comment to respond : it is a continuity of the work started
with the new gTLD applicant support Working Group or JAS that was pushed by
NCSG in Kenya meeting in 2010 and initiated as joint cross community group
between GNSO and ALAC. The WG provided several recommendations to the board
to support applicants form developing countries and in particular
non-profit to become registries. unfortunately the board acted too late and
there was no enough outreach during the critical time of application period.

There were also requests from African and MENA strategy working group to
(Amr and me were members of the latter) to support more DNS industry in
developing countries in order to have more registrars.

the report outlines several issues and barriers for any entrepreneur from
developing countries to be an ICANN accredited registrar. they are due to
ICANN requirements and to the registrar accreditation agreement which is
the contract between registrar and ICANN.

having more registrars and registries from Africa, LAC, AP is important to
serve users more closely and for strengthening internet infrastructure in
developing countries. registries and registrars are part of the internet
ecosystem and their presence is enabler for more local content (providing
cheaper access to hosting service since registrars usually provide bundled
services etc). it will important to support non for profit model to serve
communities.

I think that I will start drafting a comment and welcome any volunteer to
join me in this effort. we have other comments in parallel and we will try
to share the workload. just contact me .

Best Regards,

Rafik