From: David Olive <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 2014-05-21 6:18 GMT+09:00
Subject: [Soac-infoalert] Transition from U.S. Government has Four Work
Tracks -Blog By Fadi Chehadé
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

http://blog.icann.org/
http://blog.icann.org/2014/05/transition-from-u-s-government-has-four-work-tracks/

*Transition from U.S. Government has Four Work Tracks *

By Fadi Chehadé

Nine weeks have passed since the U.S. government announced its intention to
transition stewardship of the IANA functions to the global community. This
landmark announcement requires a measured, thoughtful approach for how we –
the Internet community – will map a route to a successful transition.
Together, we must pool our efforts with a goal of producing an acceptable
and timely proposal for a smooth transition.

What is most important is that our transition process is open and
inclusive, while maintaining a discipline and focus that will ensure our
success within a reasonable timeline. I see our work ahead as divided into
four concurrent tracks, and wanted to update you on where we are on each
track.

*1. Transition of U.S. government stewardship of IANA functions at ICANN*

By the end of Thursday, 8 May, the community submitted more than 1,000
emails and comments<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ianatransition/2014/date.html#start>with
feedback on the proposed process framework for the U.S. government
stewardship transition process, which ICANN is facilitating. Comments were
received online, via social media, emails as well as through two public
dialogues at ICANN 49 in Singapore and the NETmundial meeting in Brazil.
These comments<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ianatransition/2014/date.html#start>will
lead to a revised transition process framework.

The goal of the process is for the global community to produce a transition
proposal to the U.S. government. According to the National
Telecommunications and Information Administration, this proposal must have
broad community support and must not replace NTIA with a government-led or
inter-governmental solution.

The next few weeks will be spent reading all of the input, analyzing it and
ultimately producing a revised transition process framework before ICANN 50
in June 2014.

*2. Strengthen ICANN accountability*

Two weeks ago we began a community
discussion<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/enhancing-accountability-06may14-en.htm>on
enhancement of ICANN’s accountability through the posting of a
background document and questions for input. This dialogue is open to all.
Please provide your
comment<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/enhancing-accountability-06may14-en.htm>
s until 27 May on how ICANN (the organization) should be accountable to you
after the transition of the IANA stewardship. Your thoughts are welcome on
how we can strengthen existing accountability mechanisms like the Affirmation
of Commitments<http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/aoc/affirmation-of-commitments-30sep09-en.htm>.
Additionally, your insights will help us assess ICANN’s redress mechanisms,
and explore new accountability mechanisms where necessary. We expect
ICANN’s Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees to finalize the
participants in a new community Working Group that will guide this process,
so that work can begin during ICANN’s 50th Public Meeting in London in June.

*3. Maintain security and stability of implementation of the root zone
updates*

Currently, the process flow for root zone management involves three roles
that are performed by three different entities: NTIA as the Administrator,
ICANN as the Operator<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/page/iana-functions-purchase-order>,
and Verisign as the Maintainer. After the transition, the role of NTIA as
the Administrator will be replaced by mechanisms to be determined by you,
the global community, to ensure ICANN’s accountability to the community on
each request to update the root zone. ICANN will remain in its role as the
Operator, and will establish a relationship directly with the third-party
Maintainer.

As a means to help ensure stability, ICANN’s recommended implementation
option is to have Verisign continue its role as the Maintainer. However, we
will be working closely with all relevant parties including the Root Zone
Operators to ensure there are contingency options in place to meet our
absolute commitment to the stability, security and resiliency of the Domain
Name System.

*4. Strengthen bilateral relationships with policy bodies*

ICANN staff has begun initial work to review and strengthen existing
informal and formal commitments between ICANN and the bodies that produce
the policies implemented by the IANA department. Let me be crystal clear –
the policies implemented by IANA are produced by the Internet Engineering
Task Force (for protocol parameters), the Address Supporting Organization
(for IP addresses), the Generic Names Supporting Organization (for generic
domain names) and the ccTLDs and Country-Code Names Supporting Organization
(for country-code domain names). We welcome your help in order to
strengthen these relationships and the assurances of a clear division
between the processes that produce the policies and their implementation.

You can review existing
commitments<http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements>with policy
bodies on the following page: ICANN’s
Major Agreements and Related Reports<http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements>.

In addition, here are other links to major agreements and related documents:

·      ccTLDs <http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/cctlds>.

·      IAOC / IAB:

o   Original Memorandum of
Understanding<http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/ietf/ietf-icann-mou-01mar00-en.htm>,
dated 1 March 2000, RFC 2860.

o   Most recent MOU Supplemental
Agreement<http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/ietf/ietf-iana-agreement-2014-07mar13-en>,
effective 7 March 2014.

·      Number Resources Organization:

o   Memorandum of
Understanding<http://archive.icann.org/en/aso/aso-mou-29oct04.htm>,
dated 21 October 2004.

o   Exchange of Letters (NRO to ICANN-March
2009<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/akplogan-to-twomey-23mar09-en.pdf>;
ICANN to NRO-April
2009<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/twomey-to-akplogan-17apr09-en.pdf>;
NRO to ICANN-December
2007<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/plzak-to-twomey-17dec07-en.pdf>;
ICANN to NRO-December
2007<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/twomey-to-plzak-19dec07-en.pdf>
).

We have a full plate for the next 15 months. Together, we must carefully
manage these four concurrent and inter-related tracks. And while September
2015 is not a deadline, we must organize ourselves on a clear timeline to
succeed. This is critical work – and I am confident that, united, we will
get it done.

##