There are two aspects to the coordination group task, and it helps to
keep them separate.

The group is to coordinate submissions from stakeholders, and that
includes group members making sure that the stakeholders they represent
(as well as other stakeholders) make submissions and are kept abreast of
the work of the coordination group. The role of constituencies here is
to feed suggestions to the group and monitor its progress.  Just as
Milton is carrying out the responsibility of keeping the non-commercial
constituencies informed, and prompting them to respond by being engaged,
the GAC members of the coordination group have the same responsibility
toward the GAC constituency. This is not a numbers game.

The other aspect of the coordination group's task is to draft a proposal
that is close to what the British call a "Green Paper", a document that
has both recommended elements of a transition proposal, and identifies
areas yet to be sorted out. It would be a mistake for either the
coordination group, or the stakeholder constituencies, to assume that
the initial outcome from the group would be a consensus document being
offered for a yea/nay response from both the multistakeholder community
and the U.S. Government. To take that path would probably take longer to
reach a good consensus proposal than following a schedule using the
Green Paper/White Paper (proposal doc) strategy.

Sam L.

On 13/07/2014 10:44 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 13-Jul-14 10:13, Norbert Klein wrote:
>> >More important is that the NTIA transition mandate says clearly that
>> >governments and inter-government organizations cannot have a role in the
>> >outcome. The GAC should be reminded about this.
> I do not read it that way.
> It can't be a intergovernmental solution.
>
> I take that to allow for a multistakeholder solution that includes
> governmental actors in some form or configuration.  I.e governments
> should be able to have a role just as the other stakeholders are allowed
> to have a role.
>
> avri

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: [log in to unmask]   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852