On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 5:24 PM, McTim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Milton,

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM, Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 1. GAC representation.
> Governments have been allotted 2 seats on the coordination group (CG). They want 5, one for each world region.
> ICANN has indicated that it will follow the CG's lead on whether to add additional seats or keep it at two.
> I have an opinion on this, but want to see what others think.
> My opinion is that the GAC should not be allowed to add more members; the basic fallacy they are making is to see the CG as a voting body rather than seeing its members as liaisons to the specific communities represented. 2 seats allows them to keep tabs on what the CG is doing and carry that info back to the GAC and the GAC's reaction back to the CG. With 5 seats you are not only inflating the size of an already large committee but inflating the representation of a stakeholder group that, according to the NTIA mandate, is not supposed to play a controlling role in the outcome. Other perspectives welcome.

I agree. 2 is enough.  They need to know that they are just one of many SGs.

+1 perhaps you also want to remind them that they indirectly have almost 6 already (counting ccNSO and non-ccNSO)  ;). Really on a serious note, the committee needs to ensure that her activities is as transparent and non-representative as much as possible to avoid any justification for voting. Issues that requires decision making should be by consensus (where number does not really count)

Regards

--
Cheers,

McTim
route indicates how we get there."  Jon Postel

Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti
web:      http://www.fuoye.edu.ng
Mobile: +2348035233535