Thank you, Ed & Stephanie for this terrific action plan!!

Best,
Robin

On Aug 26, 2014, at 7:09 AM, Edward Morris wrote:

Thanks for the mark up Stephanie. Helpful suggestions all!

- I could become a real enthusiast of this process!!!

Welcome to the world of the DIPD, a.k.a Documents ICANN Doesn't Produce. I'm actually hoping for a different result this time because I can't believe surrendering more power to the GAC is something everyone in ICANN corporate is happy about.

- I think we need, on a separate note, to be pushing for independent oversight of such requests, through the Ombudsman.  You don't have that in the US, but in Canada we have independent Information Commissioners who review exemption decisions (among many other things).

I've lived a lot of my life in the Nordic region where such things are common. A restructuring of the Ombudsman's role, particularly in terms of insulating the office from Board pressure, needs to be a part of any accountability reform. For the moment, Chris has a relatively short term contract and serves at the sole discretion of the Board. That needs to be changed.

- That would be a good thing, as the Board appears to have some accountability issues, possibly statutory in nature, that make their review of staff decisions on these matters problematic.

I actually think the basic accountability framework is fairly good. The problem is in its implementation. I don't see the good faith needed for this model to work. Sadly we'll need more rules to limit staff discretion in this area.

- Great job!

Thanks. You too.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">