From: Rafik Dammak <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:59:59 +0900
Subject: Cross community letter regarding ICANN's Accountability Process Announcement

Hi Everyone,

there was discussion between leaders of SOs/ACs regarding letter to ICANN CEO and the board about the proposal for accountability process. I copied the letter below. I am submitting it for review from NCSG PC and getting membership feedback. I would like that we act swiftly about it.

personally, I advise to sign it at least as community reaction and request for clarifying details left behind and not covered in the faq. but I want also  to get any additional proposal or comments I can share with the chairs of other groups.

Best Regards,

Rafik

Fadi Chehadé, CEO, ICANN
Dr. Stephen Crocker, Chair, ICANN Board of Directors
ICANN Board of Directors

Dear Fadi, Steve and ICANN Directors,

Regarding ICANN’s announcement on August 14, 2014, Enhancing Accountability: Process and Next Steps,  the Supporting Organisation, Advisory Committee, Stakeholder Group and Constituency chairs formally request additional time and opportunity to review and discuss the proposal contained in the announcement and in the subsequent FAQ’s published on August 22, so that next steps can be confirmed with increased support from the ICANN community.

Recognizing that the ICANN plan is a brand new construct that was announced without a corresponding public comment period, substantial questions and concerns remain unanswered, including around the process to date and the plan as constructed.

The undersigned Supporting Organisation, Advisory Committee, Stakeholder Group and Constituency leaders are currently engaging our respective groups’ bottom-up, consensus processes at this time to develop and finalize a list of questions that will require clarification or correction.  As a result, additional opportunity is needed to ensure understanding of the proposal and the ways in which it is responsive to the interests and working methods of the ICANN stakeholder groups. We commit to submitting to ICANN staff our list of clarifying questions and comments within seven days of this letter.

Since the Enhancing Accountability process will affect ICANN’s future, as well as the range of stakeholders impacted by its decisions, we trust that this request will be received positively and lead to further engagement on this important matter to ensure that the SOs, ACs and SGs and Cs not only understand the proposed approach, but are able to endorse it.

Signed,