Hi everyone,

please find my statement below:

  • Name, declared region of residence, gender and employment;
Rafik Dammak
Asia(Tunisian citizen)
Male
Computer engineer
  • Any conflicts of interest:
none
  • Reasons for willingness to take on the tasks of the particular position:
I am willing to continue volunteering for NCSG as I did before, hoping to do more and leading during a challenging time of transition and struggle for more accountability within ICANN .

Concretely, I thought about some goals to reach and already started during my first term:
  1. Continuing the work in improving the operational aspect for NCSG: managing membership more efficiently and in timely manner, improving the admin tasks execution and getting the needed support (updated wiki, regular calls, organising sessions during ICANN meetings), ensuring the NCSG membership is up to dated about ongoing policies and important transitions like for IANA and ICANN accountability, improving the effectiveness of current NCSG committees as much as possible.
  2. To continue the fight on the positions we always defended regarding the rights of non-commercial users and organizations, and the defense of human rights, freedom of expression and privacy with concrete actions to let ICANN accountable on its policies and respecting rights. I am merely collaborating here with other members who volunteered to advocate strongly for those position and I support them as chair such as  the organization of privacy session in London.
  3. To continue the work on the engagement of our existing  and new membership. Improving the the community management and helping new members to participate in ICANN processes and NCSG activities.  Supporting the learning and capacity building to get members involved in working groups and making statements
  4. Ensuring that NCSG liaise with other groups in the different SOs/AC within ICANN and strengthening its position. cooperating with them for more common positions such as the GNSO statement about accountability during London ICANN meeting

 •  Qualifications for the position:
I served NCSG interests in several roles and get different perspectives about the needs of our SG  and constituencies within the organisation and the interactions/relations with other groups . I was also chair for 1 year and definitely I learned a lot :I did a self-criticism of what I did , what I didn't do or failed to do. I hope to get the opportunity to improve that.

  1. I participated in several working groups within ICANN on behalf of NCSG. I was co-chair of  new applicant support working group , a cross working group between GNSO and ALAC aimed to give support for new gTLD applicants from developing countries, and lately co-facilitating  the cross-community working group on Internet Governance to chartered soon.
  2. I was GNSO councilor for 3 years representing NCSG and non-commercial interests and coordinating with other members to defend several positions there , from there I learned about GNSO policies, processes and procedures in addition to the dynamic of the groups we have to work with.
  3. I was also at the NCSG Executive committee
  4. I represented NCUC in the nomcom

Outside ICANN, I am also serving in other space in steering committees at 1net , Internet Rights and Principles coalition, OECD CSISAC.

 • Statement of availability for the time the position requires:
Yes, I am available and already committing as current chair.

 • The nominee’s statement may also include any other information that the candidate believes is relevant:
I learned a lot with my involvement within NCSG: about our challenges as group based in solely work of volunteers, the new issues coming with transitions such IANA which may change ICANN nature and influence its already weak accountability, strengthening NCSG structurally, continuation of  the efforts started by predecessors and building the foundation for successors to ensure NCSG sustainability as organization, coordinating with the policy committee and our councillors to advance NCSG policy positions.
I am looking to continue serve NCSG to which I owe a lot .

Best Regards,

Rafik