I want to bring more focus to my Food for Though comments about the
Forum NETmundial Initiative.

There are two dimensions to civil society participation in Internet
issues. One dimension, to be applauded, is the dedicated volunteer
effort at influencing policy and implementation, and pushing for
multistakeholder processes in policy development and implementation.
Warts, challenges and all, ICANN is the poster child organization here.

The other dimension, of concern, is the pressing need to broadening and
deepening civil society stakeholder awareness and engagement in the
issues surrounding the Internet. This is crucial and it is where civil
society efforts have been weak. [/The current NCSG voters roll problem
is current exhibit #1/] The occasion of the Initiative’s consultative
dialogue can be used to advance awareness and engagement in the broader
issues surrounding governance.

My comment about the Forum NETmundial initiative was to prompt thought.
It comes from neither a hope about, nor an endorsement of, the
initiative. The first part of the comment was background; a concise
overview of the intent of the initiative without editorial comment other
than to suggest that yet another 900 pound governance gorilla is being
considered here.  I personally fear the risk that this might result in
an inadequate multistakeholder entity, with inadequate stakeholder
accountability.

The second part was to prompt a stronger civil society strategy for the
ensuing dialogue. Whether the initiative produces a 900 pound gorilla,
or a 90 pound scarecrow, the interim dialogue and consultation are an
opportunity to broaden awareness and engagement across stakeholder
constituencies.  Without that, civil society multistakeholder
involvement will remain thin and suffer its own top-down,
accountability, and legitimacy challenges.

The Initiative is one more opportunity for civil society activists to
turn around 180 degrees and do some housekeeping and homework with their
own constituencies, work that is long overdue.

Sam L.