Hi Seun,

Thanks for the question, it is good opportunity to clarify about the
process and give clear references to the NCSG charter provisions. A charter
can be always open to personal interpretations and so a healthy discussion,
without accusations, in the mailing list is always welcome:

First the link to NCSG charter,
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Charter it is good
practice to check it from time to time :)

Regarding the Policy committee role and tasks, the charter list them as (at
articles 2.1.3 and 2.5) ,
*"The NCSG Policy Committee is responsible for:*

   - *Discussion and development of substantive policies and statements
   issued in the name of the NCSG. This activity will require coordination
   with the membership and the Constituencies;*
   - *Organize policy initiatives on behalf of NCSG membership, including
   PDP initiatives from the membership;*
   - *Provide policy research and guidance to NCSG representatives on the
   GNSO Council;*
   - *Keep membership informed of GNSO Council activities;*
   - *Organize, appoint where appropriate, and track NCSG participation in
   GNSO and other pertinent Working Groups.*
   - *Organization and oversight of NCSG participation in any GNSO
   Council-related tasks, whether mandated by Bylaws, Council Procedures or
   Council decisions.*
   - *Document methods and procedures used for decision-making. Such
   documentation is subject to review by the NCSG‑EC.*

*" *
If your read carefully those bullets, they indicate that PC main scope is
about GNSO council  related activities and policy . that is an important
separation with the executive tasks handled by EC and the NCSG chair

The question here is about  an issue in relation to ICANN accountability
and so not related to  GNSO council or policy work  per se. So how to deal
with a reconsideration request  which is neither a process issue nor a SG
statement on policy matter but kind of appealing mechanism on procedural
aspects.

 the NCSG charter is not clear about that however it gives the NCSG chair
some executive power (Article 2.1.3 "The NCSG chair is responsible for
carrying out the executive functions of the NCSG under the NCSG-‐EC's
oversight according to ICANN, GNSO and NCSG mission and principles.").

Regarding the reconsideration request, the window of time to act was short
(15 days and the deadline is 29th Aug for this specific issue about
accountability process). in fact it may be a good example of accountability
mechanism failure .

Robin drafted the reconsideration request and asked for support, getting
endorsement form other groups in GNSO . I interpreted this as procedural
action that need to be done quickly and which doesn't represent any harm
for NCSG neither indicate a policy position not endorsed by the PC. it is
important to act in timely manner and defend NCSG interests . There was
also previous reconsideration request by NCSG and didn't go through NCSG PC
endorsement as far I recall.

In fact, the reconsideration request doesn't prevent us as  NCSG to
continue the ongoing work on the accountability track. I was planning to
send email to the ad-hoc group to be ready to respond to the accountability
process, also to request the NCSG PC to start the process for appointing a
representative in the coordination group and finally call for questions
regarding the accountability process proposal (not covered in the FAQ) to
be compiled and sent to ICANN staff .

As always I am responsible for decisions I make and I won't deny if I am
wrong since I try to act with good faith. I do think that can be a good
time to clarify how reconsideration request or any other matter not covered
in the charter can be done in future and write down clear procedures.

On other hand, I want also to clarify something related to the joint-letter
to ICANN board, I didn't sign it since I asked to hold my signature till I
consult NCSG, however due to miscommunication and the leak one of chairs
acted quickly. not a good excuse but it is unescapable  in environment when
we have to respond to many things in short time. that is another symptoms
we have with the current accountability process setup

hope that helps ,

Best,

Rafik