Hi

Also a good read is the transcript of the SOAC chairs call we did in July https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/45744715/SO-AC-SG%20Transcript%20of%20July%202014.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1406040072000&api=v2.

I asked Fadi for a reaction to the joint statement of the entire GNSO that was read out in the London public forum arguing that "We need an independent accountability structure that holds the ICANN Board, Staff, and various stakeholder groups accountable under ICANN’s governing documents, serves as an ultimate review of Board/Staff decisions, and through the creation of precedent, creates prospective guidance for the board, the staff, and the entire community.”  You may recall that when this was read out Fadi was reading through a stack of docs and didn’t appear to look up, so I sort of innocently asked him what he thought.

————

Bill: Okay. So I was just wondering, Fadi. I haven’t had a chance to talk to you since London, and I was wondering if you have a specific reaction to the statement that was made on behalf of all the different parts of the GNSO in the Public Forum. Steve provided some feedback, on one of the List Serve discussions, but I haven’t heard you engage on the specific ideas that people were putting forward, and whether -- how you saw those fitting into the process, and maybe that’s just because it's summer and I missed something. So, if you could maybe just clue me in on what your thinking is about the suggestions that were made, that would be really interesting to me.

Fadi: Thank you, Bill. Let me just make sure. You mean the suggestion that I just discussed in the last 10 minutes about forming a Cross Community Working Group on accountability?

Bill: No. No. The statement that was made by the GNSO leaders was about more than forming the Cross Community Working Group, which was about establishing mechanisms for accountability, and so on.

Fadi: Well, I didn't get any more detailed on what that is, frankly, since the comments at the Public Forum. Could you either now, or could we get--

Bill: I don't have the text right in front of me. Does anybody else have that in front of them? I'm not on the computer right now.

Theresa: Bill this is -- I think Steve had responded, and provided a response back.

Bill: I know that Steve did, but I was saying, I hadn't heard Fadi address the suggestions that were made.

Fadi: No. I have to look at these more closely, Bill, to be frank; before I can say something. So I will do that, and I will seek to publish something, or send you something at least -- unless others are interested -- as to my views on that, that I need to look into more closely.
Theresa, did you want to say something on that? Or, you’d rather you and I chat about this, because I haven’t focused on this since.

Theresa: No. Neither had I, and I think that the -- there had been input into the topic around accountability and it's also something that’s relevant to, you know, the overall accountability work that we are doing, but it's a specific kind of proposal. There have been similar specific kinds of proposals and topics being raised and also in the comments that were received, through the public comment process. In looking at all of those kinds of specific inputs and ideas, and suggestions; this is something that we haven’t had a chance to look through entirely either.

Fadi: And Bill, just quickly. I mean, I don't want to be evasive, because I didn't look at it closely, that’s all it is, but I will tell you that if these are proposals on specific ways we can improve our accountability, then my answer, I can tell you right now will be, let's get the process going, and feed these into the process. I will not -- it's not my role to -- say I am for that accountability mechanism, or I'm not for that one. And my role (inaudible)--

Bill: The particular point, I guess, that was emphasized as the notion of an external or independent accountability structure.

Fadi: I think what we need to do is to create a process. Create a team of people that can then start consuming all these ideas. It has to be a bottom-up, completely across community groups; that can comment on this. It is not my job to comment on this, as your President. My job is to enable the process, in a way that you are satisfied and frankly to deal with, in fact, the concerns like Elisa and others have brought up, to make sure that this is truly bottom-up and a community process. That’s my focus.

Now, do I have an opinion? Yes. But it doesn't matter to be honest, what matters is what the community wants to do to make ICANN the shining light on the hill. That’s what's important. And I assure you of that. So I will look at them nonetheless, and absorb them, and understand them, because it's -- I'm also a member of the community, but I can assure you also that I will not be commenting on any specific proposals because it's not my role to do that, it's the community's role.

-----------

So that was that…he’d not looked at the GNSO’s input closely, but it doesn’t matter what his opinion is, what matters is what the community wants to do.

Now we have been given a picture of what I guess the staff believes the community wants to do; it is attached.  As Robin notes, two tiers: a Community Assembly tasked with identifying issues, to which each GNSO SG can appoint four reps; and a Community Coordination Group, that will categorize and prioritize issues identified by the assembly and then build solutions and issue final reports and recs.  This group would be comprised of just one participant each from the GNSO and other SOs, a liaison with the IANA CoCo, a staff member, a AOC/ATRT expert, a board liaison, and up to seven advisors selected by the board.  Those advisors would provide advice and research etc. They have in mind folks like Jan Aart Scholte, the professor who gave a talk in London.  Observers would be welcome.

This is an interesting architecture.

For starters, I asked three simple questions about it:

*The perceived advantages of this new structure vs. a CCWG

*The viability of having just one rep for the GNSO’s many diverse groupings

*The rationale for 7 board-appointed advisors

There was discussion on the last call of some of these points, but no really clear answers or consensus that I could detect.

So now that this model is formally on the table for community consideration, it would make sense to provide some organized input.  The registries are working on something that raises the above questions and more, NCSG hopefully can do the same.

Best,

Bill