Congrats to everyone elected.

Conversations here should be less cryptic and there should be conscious effort to engage newcomers.

Thank you,
Benjamin

On Sep 17, 2014 2:26 PM, "Rafik Dammak" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Nuno,

thanks for the comment,

Let us all (at least the ones who read these threads), compromise in bringing in a new member every month, for the next 6 months.

But we need:
a) to have a simplified (yet rigorous) admission process

the current process is quite simple, people need to apply through online form which is quite easy. I acknowledge that we had problems with a backlog but we could shorten the time for review in last months. EC is still working on that and one task is to improve the application. why? one reason of delay is that EC needs sometimes to get more information from applicants and that tend to take some time since we have difficulty to get response in timely manner.  so asking more details ( we found we have some recurrent questions) since the beginning would help the EC to proceed more quickly.

b) to improve the quality of the language we use in these discussions. Some emails are so cryptic that any newcomer  that read them feels a complete ignorant. Please let us avoid using abreviations and topics that go way back to other threads and stuff like "John decided in the NCSO to argue against GAC proposal". Seriously guys, give the newcomers a break and let us use more friendly and inclusive language. And keep subjects on its relevant topic

I am more nuanced here, I would expect someone willing to join the non-commercial stakeholder group in the generic names supporting organization will get used quickly to NCSG and GNSO :) but yes we can improve the language.There is good practice like done by Avri who put in PS tho what acronyms stands. there is also the acronyms glossary provided by ICANN here https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/glossary-2014-02-03-en

in general I advise new members to check this https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/How+to+get+Involved (still work in progress)

I also am testing new method now by having more clearer email subject and using tags to indicate the importance and purpose of the emails I am sending.

All these are just experiments for now and see if there is any improvement or feedback.

c) someone (not me) should prepare a standard welcome email with relevant links

Rafik

So here are my two cents.

I will start tomorrow to bring new interested members to the Non-Commercial Users Constituency.

Warm regards,

Nuno