Don't expect consistency and principled thinking from the EC especially when ICANN is involved!
Have no idea how unified the various states are, but if it's EU-as-normal, probably not very!
Someone else asked if there is a record of this. My impression (could be wrong) is that there is not, I got the impression that, like the argument over opening GAC meetings, occurred behind closed doors.  But if you simply reference a proposal to shift to majority voting without pointing a finger at anyone in particular I am pretty sure no one can accuse you of being incorrect.
I am initiating one final verification act, if I find a record I will let you know but don't let that hold up the comment.

From: NCSG-Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Edward Morris
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NCSG-Discuss] GAC override and majority voting

Interesting. I wonder if the Commission would be so supportive of voting if other "distinct economies", in GAC speak, such as NAFTA and the ASEAN FTA were also GAC members. Europe is overrepresented in the GAC and the Commission itself resembles anything but a democratic organisation. I'd be interested in knowing how unified the nation-states of Europe were on this matter. Any ideas?