On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Milton L Mueller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  The problem is that governments are supposed to act via passage of laws
> and treaties. But governments cannot agree on the issues surrounding
> geographical indicators and hence there is no applicable law at the global
> level. Where there is no law, there should be no global constraints on what
> ICANN or the users do. A claim of “sensitivity,” an inherently subjective
> term, must not be transmuted into global regulations just because ICANN can
> get away with it. If governments want globally applicable constraints on
> those kinds of names, let them pass and ratify international treaties. If
> they can’t, then they must stop attempting to use ICANN as a back door
> regulator.

I think its quite difficult to give a blanket statement like this. One
could argue what global law restricted .us or .ng for instance to ccTLD. I
think the fact that ccTLD (govt) can exercise their sovereignty at national
level should make it extended to lower level. I won't see a reason why
lagos govt should not have right over .lagos for instance.

I think a balance needs to be struck in a way that govt will not end-up
claiming all the possible tld strings[1]

Cheers!
1. Maybe restricting to states names only (and not town/city names) may be
feasible

 --MM

<http://goog_1872880453>[log in to unmask]