I disagree that there will be outside governance processes that will be brought down upon for the purpose of zoning the namespace in the public interest. I just don't see the complex regulated approach/form that that could/would take. And where I glimpse it, the scenarios of applications are unrealistic.

I am *far* from being a free-market apologist (I don't believe markets exists *naturally* outside of very many political and social rules, for instance, and being the good french-Canadian that I am, I am culturally and philosophically inclined to believe that regulating economic activities in the public interest is naturally both unavoidable and efficient [but the devil is in the details]). But we need to grasp the rather large ― infinite one might even posit ― range of name-string possibilities that are open to competing interests (some interested parties of which may be more in line with the way I see what the public interest should be, while some of them might be more in line with what others would think the public interest should be), and from that rather large string of possibilities I am inclined to believe that the public interest will take care of its own by simple virtue of its (posited) greater offer and demand. There is simply more to be done in the public interest then against, in short.

In essence, this is the same mechanism that works in the USA with regard speech where it is posited that more speech is better than less speech, all in the purpose of dealing with public interest issues. In Canada, I think, we say that this or that speech is unacceptable, and that we shouldn't say it. This is not my preferred way of preserving the public interest in the speech sphere, but this is what we have and since Canada has control over what goes on in its territory, well it can do it, fine. When people want to say this or that stuff (or criticize stuff you shouldn't say, which sometimes get confused with condoning stuff you shouldn't say) then people will host it on a US server or something like this. Canada has no way of extending its policy to the rest of the world just because a foreign newspaper may find its way into Canadian soil or because a foreign server can be queried to deliver a webpage with unlawful speech (to Canada). And I don't think it would be wise to try to deal with the newspaper-spill situation by petitioning the UN or building treaty organizations with the purpose of coming up with a policy to regulate global speech in the public interest.

And so, similarly, I do not think it would be wise, feasible or helpful to try to regulate in the public interest the way that SLD auctions are conducted around the world, nor to determine what or who should have precedence over a semantic string. When i said before that I tend to agree with Sam's suggestion of asking for similar rules with regard gTLD, it is mainly because it would be a gain for the non-commercial community (in a zero-sum game, that would be a loss for the commercial community) and, well, I think that we *can* sometimes advance our own little narrow interests in spite of perhaps the best interet of the system as a whole. But if I am to think of the best way for all to function, I am convinced I think that not injecting these considerations into SLDs and Geos is the correct way to go.

That being said, Wolfgang's point is well taken, and we can't stay aside and we need to actively engage the community in a proactive manner so that the community can come to rough and running codes and consensuses.

Nicolas