From: Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 10:15:29 -0800
Subject: Re: UPDATE ON CIVIL SOCIETY PARTICIPATION IN NET MUNDIAL INITIATIVE

Folks,

Should NCSG participate in the NetMundial Initiative?   We are still waiting
for confirmation from its secretariat as to whether or not civil society
will be allowed to select all of its own representatives to the
"coordination council" or if the secretariat will reserve the right to
select some of civil society's representatives for us.  (The NMI secretariat
have civil society orgs in mind who will be bring publicity and good PR to
their project, but don't actually engage on these issues).

In my mind this is a critical question, and since the secretariat has been
unwilling to confirm this yet, I remain skeptical of the initiative and our
"legitimization" of it; however if the response from the secretariat is that
they will play a "hands off" role in terms of civil society representatives,
I'll be happy to change my mind.

It is important that this initiative, in practice, live up the Netmundial
principles (including stakeholders select their own representatives).  If
the NMI organizers cannot confirm that much, then it is just an
appropriation of the NetMundial label without the principles that we worked
very hard in Sao Paulo to achieve.

At this point, while we wait for clarification from NMI's secretariat, each
of the groups in the CSCG are asked to consider if they believe they should
participate in the initiative.  So I ask this of NCSG.  JustNet Coalition
has already decided against it.  Importantly, ISOC has said it will not
participate in the initiative or its coordination council because it lacks
openness, bottom-up orientation, accountability, and transparency in its
structure and operations.

We've heard that Fadi is touting CSCG's letter to the secretariat asking to
select the civil society representatives as evidence of civil society's
support for his initiative and as "legitimizing" the NMI.  What Fadi doesn't
understand yet, however, is that our sending the letter requesting to be
involved is not what "legitimizes" NMI.  It is whether NMI actually "walks
the talk" and permits civil society to, in fact, make our own determinations
for who should represent us - and in practice - not just words - live up the
NetMundial principles of bottom-up governance, openness, transparency,
accountability, etc.

A few Pro & Con arguments below.  Please send your thoughts.  I'll update as
soon as we have some news one way or the other from the NMI secretariat.

Thanks,
Robin

FOR INVOLVEMENT

With ITU a governments only forum and no real will to change, and IGF as a
forum with no power to make recommendations or take decisions and again no
will to change, there is no credible venue to initiate action on non
technical issues or issues not within the remit of Istar organisations These
would include surveillance issues, human rights issues, net neutrality
issues, to name a few.

The solid commitment to NetMundial principles promised, if carried out in
practice, would create a credible and open initiative

There is a need for a representative forum capable of moving us forward on a
range of issues not covered by existing institutions

Participation is strongly supported by some sections of civil society

AGAINST INVOLVEMENT

The last thing we need is a corporate takeover of internet governance and
this could become that

ISOC has withdrawn

Participation is strongly opposed by some sections of civil society

This initiative has a track record of poor communication

Not bottom-up or transparent so far