The WEF has always been an Economic Forum, and its DNA is imprinted with a top-down view of the world, with participation lead by the wealthy and powerful. The WEF lacks neither resources nor economic issues to deal with, so one might ask “Why is the WEF talking a lead role in this post-NETmundial initiative?” Since it is certainly not out of need, it is based on opportunity. It is not difficult to draw up a list of reasons for WEF interest, ranging from the good to the bad. However, no matter what one selects from that list there are two core questions remaining for civil society.

The first is what are the benefits and risks of joining in an initiative that, in practice, may or may not be open and inclusive? The second, of course, is what are the risks, or benefits, of not joining? Those civil society groups that join, and are “represented” are at risk if the process turns out to be non-inclusive and resistant to bottom up participation. If the process is inclusive and open to bottom up participation, it doesn’t really matter if a civil society group is formally represented by designation, or effectively engaged via participation. I am pleased that the Board of ISOC decided not to participate. There are damaging downside risks if the initiative goes badly, and if the initiative goes well there is full scope for bottom up engagement by all stakeholders.

Lastly, doing right, by being open and inclusive is not all that difficult to understand. The initiative does not need civil society representation to understand that. The WEF initiative can get it right by simply embracing those core values from the start and, in an open and transparent way, building from there. As a economist with a long perspective on the WEF I am skeptical of the ability of the “WEF leopard” to change its spots, but would be more than happy if this WEF led initiative proved me wrong. In either case I would rather participate as a member of a stakeholder constituency, without the questionable label of “stakeholder representative”.

Sam Lanfranco, Chair
NPOC Policy Committee