On Thursday, September 18, 2014, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>  I heard that Avri will be serving in the newly
> > formed IGF support forum. If I may ask, how is this different from MAG?
> > Where does the new groups mandate end?

The IGF Support Association  (IGFSA <http://www.igfsa.org/>)  is a
separate organization from either the IGF or the MAG.  It is a
Association formed during the Istanbul IGF meeting to raise funds to
help in the support of the IGF.

Part of the reason it was formed is that donations to the IGF Trust
managed by the UN is a very difficult process that requires establishing
a formal agreement with the UN Fund.  It is only a means for large
donation, mostly by states and large corporation.  For years, potential
smaller donors have had no method for making donations.

The goals of the IGFSA are first and foremost to help fill any shortfall
in the IGF Secretariat budget that cannot be met through the UN's IGF
Trust fund.  Beyond that, once there are funds, further goals include:

.    provide funds to maintain and strengthen the IGF Secretariat and
national and regional IGF initiatives;
.    seek and promote exchange and collaboration with national and
regional IGF initiatives;
.    identify new sources of funding and facilitate funding of the IGF;
.    make contributions to the IGF Trust Fund administered by the United
Nations; and
.    award fellowships for participation at IGF meetings, including
preparatory meetings.

The IGFSA is a membership association and the charter members joined
while at the IGF in Istanbul. the first Executive Committee was elected
at that meeting.  Once we get over all of the formation issues, it will
be possible for individuals and organizations to join and to make
donations.  We are still trying to get all the details ironed out with
bank accounts, web sites &c.

The formal linkage between the IGF and IGFSA is that the IGF Secretariat
has a seat on the Executive Committee (IGFSA-EC).  The chair of the MAG
(Multistakeholder Advisory Group) participates as an observer in the
IGFSA-EC.  There are several MAG members, myself included, sitting on
the IGFSA-EC, but that is purely happenstance and there is no necessary
relationship between the two roles.

Hope that helps.

Avri