I was indeed referring to a subject in another thread but I'm happy that you think it could be useful.

I think that a "is/is not" list on domain names (e.g. among other things, it is *not* a trademark) is perhaps the best way (practically and politically) to (orthogonally, yes) impart some rights to individual name holders. Your comment made me think of that, in the context of that other PI thread.

Other ideas for a list of "a name is/is not"  [SLDs and TLDs are name]

- simply an address, not a destination
- a form of expression (and is thus permissionless)
- distinct from the content to which they lead
- only a small part of the DNS: it cannot monopolize meaning
- global, not local or national

- an SLD is a name
-  a TLD is a name

Nicolas