I had a class today exactly about this. I was joking to the students if
I should consider buying andresguadamuz.sucks and andresguadamuz.porn,
and we had an extensive discussion about whether the above would be
defamatory if someone else did it. Most of the class thought that you
could successfully bring up an action in England for defamation just for
registering the domain.

I tend to agree.

If anything, ICANN has made it easier to bring defamation cases in some
jurisdicitons, and I'm not sure if this is an improvement on the status
quo.

Best Regards,

Andres

--
Dr Andres Guadamuz
Senior Lecturer in Intellectual Property Law

Tel. 01273 678629

http://ssrn.com/author=387238
http://www.technollama.co.uk