+1 to Milton. I remember the old days when there was no way in a domain name to criticize a trademark owner without losing your domain name.  Newspapers could criticize and critique large companies for practices they did not like even in headlines (such as abuse of migrant workers); Saturday Night Live (a popular US TV show) could parody; but not in domain names.

For years we posited a ".SUCKS" domain name where you could register a trademark and make it very clear that the domain name was going to be used for legal expression - to criticize, critique and parody. I remember talking about how much I wanted it years ago - long before the New gTLD program. How it would make life clearer online and provide clear protections for speakers.

$2500 is a lot of money, but not out of line with what is being asked by other New gTLD Registries.  I heard that one new registry is demanding the absurd price of $30,000 for its "landrush" domain names -- and that's truly extortion. But $2500 while high is ballpark - that chance to pull your (your company's) trademark out of .SUCKS and not be part of the free speech and discussion to come.

Best,
Kathy

:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

I’m on .sucks side on this one.

In effect, the .sucks domain seems to be engaged in a legitimate form of price discrimination between brand owners who want to suppress critical expression about their brands and people who actually want to use the domain for its intended purpose.

Extortion means that one is threatened with violence or some other form of illegal harm if one doesn’t pay up. The idea that paying a high fee to preempt the mere possibility that someone might register and use a critical domain such as brand.sucks is not extortion.

--MM