http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2013/981.html

In my opinion, a defamation case has a high possibility of success in England. This is not to say that it will happen, just that at least in the UK it is a distinct possibility. It might be difficult to prove damages though, but it might be possible to obtain injunctive relief.

Andres

On 28/03/2015 16:55, Nicolas Adam wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">I guess there is a difference between successfully bringing up an action and standing a snowball's chance in hell of winning it on the strength of that sole registration fact, but I'm kind of hoping that registering is not the only threshold ....

On 2015-03-27 7:26 AM, Andres Guadamuz wrote:
I had a class today exactly about this. I was joking to the students if I should consider buying andresguadamuz.sucks and andresguadamuz.porn, and we had an extensive discussion about whether the above would be defamatory if someone else did it. Most of the class thought that you could successfully bring up an action in England for defamation just for registering the domain.

I tend to agree.

--
Dr Andres Guadamuz
Senior Lecturer in Intellectual Property Law

Tel. 01273 678629

http://ssrn.com/author=387238
http://www.technollama.co.uk