On 2015-03-30 10:49, Milton L Mueller wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
...Thus, the “corporate responsibility” model is off target. If people outside the “walled city” of ICANN are asking how it is performing in terms of corporate social responsibility they are asking the wrong question. But frankly, I don’t think many people are asking that. I deal with lots of people, including hundreds of students, who are not involved with ICANN and I have never heard that question asked.
You are lucky that I am not your student!  I am actually busy grappling with that question re ICANN....how do you define corporate social responsibility, for an org like ICANN, without getting into content.  I believe that they cannot start refereeing content fights and decisions, but I expect them to uphold human rights ...as Monika has pointed out, the Ruggies would apply to them, the question is what does it mean when you get specific?  I think the policy on WHOIS conflicts of law, just for starters, shows disrespect for national law at a minimum, and I am wondering if I should describe setting policy that forces registrars to question the application of law as bad policy, illegal, or showing no corporate social responsibility?  Advice welcome...

Anyway, I think this is an essential question that we need to figure out before we get further down the path towards determining a framework for "the public interest".  I would agree with the guy who said that dot sucks is a shakedown, but there are plenty of examples of that in the new gTLDs, so what.

Getting back to corporate social responsibility.....still drafting a privacy policy for ICANN, which I justify by saying it is a basic corporate social responsibility, regardless of the spurious arguments about jurisdiction and choice of law which they always raise in defence of doing nothing.   As far as I can see, there are a number of things that fall clearly on the "do it" side of that not-so-bright line....and I argue that diving into which domains (or should I say, choice of names) are nice and which are not nice, is out of bounds.  Enforcement of libel is also definitely not within ICANN's job description.   Where things get tough is some of those recent initiatives where ICANN staff were busy helping track down kiddie porn, without a Court order to do so.  Some might call that "corporate social responsibility", and however we may beat up Fadi when he strays into areas outside of ICANN's jurisdiction, this one is tough to turn away.
Berard is a slick proponent for this thing, but he is wrong about "sucks" not being a pejorative.  Try walking into a bar late at night and tell some drunk he sucks, see what happens.  (Or check the recent edition of OED 2010, which says:

An expression of derision, used esp. by children; often in phrs. sucks to you; yah, boo, sucks. 1913–.

Listener The council treated the urbane Mr Cook to the politician's equivalent of ‘Yah, boo, sucks’ (1983).

What he ought to be saying is that the word is creeping into polite discourse.  Different.

Thanks for the interesting debate on this
Stephanie Perrin