As usual,  Robin has hit the nail on the head. No matter what we do with Accountability, and we're doing a lot, as long as this vague concept of public interest exists in ICANN  it will be used to further special interests and nullify policy properly developed through community processes.

I don't believe public interest can be determined. That said, I do recommend folks take a look at a study done by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales on the topic,  if we are required by ICANN in good faith to try to do the impossible. It may be found here: http://www.icaew.com/en/technical/ethics/the-public-interest .

Ed