Why don't we start a special skype channel for "newbies" those who would be interested in mentoring, and for general questions.  I for one would be reluctant to just fire a question at you Rafik, knowing how busy you are.  I would be happy to hang out on that channel if anyone is interested....not that I don't still call myself a newbie, but I have figured a few things out with much help from those who have been around for many years.
Do most folks have access to Skype?  and if not is there a better platform?
Stephanie Perrin

On 2015-05-14 7:42, Rafik Dammak wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Hi Rao,

I am not sure that you read my response to Arthur but that is ok.

I think some volunteers are already   doing or ready to  mentoring, supporting and helping when they get question or request and that happens during working groups processes. not sure that we need to formalize such process .

I would think instead if someone has some questions, he can send them directly off list  to me  or councillors, officers or any other active members since it may create a more 1-to-1 convenient personalized discussion . I understand that can be hard for anyone to jump and intervene , being worried to ask a "stupid" question. Well there is no stupid question, we are here to support each other in peer basis. we all went through learning curves and had to ask questions and search for answers. a kind of active learning.

for newcomer webinar, we have that idea in pipeline to explain about policy-development process but that will be more complementary to existing effort provided by GNSO for newcomers to get involved in working groups. the confcall is held in quarterly basis and it should be held next month if I am not mistaking.

regarding volunteering for tasks, I think that anyone can take the lead and not waiting to do things that he see relevant ,  share that with the group later on. we can learn from other communities way of doing things

Best,

Rafik

I also second Arthur as Rafik just did.

Referring to one of my earlier posts of March 10, I proposed 2-3 measures in order to get new members engaged quickly. One of the point I proposed there was to have some volunteers which may act as mentors for the newcomers (2,3 new members associated with each mentor). The volunteers could be some active and contributing members. Another point I made there was to have a call for volunteers (for new members only) and give them some less important and small tasks to work on so as to boost their confidence and make them realize that they have started contributing.

a+,
Naveed -