I would like to add to David Post’s excellent comments in his Washington
Post article on Internet governance. It is important that ICANN, or
whoever covers the core DNS functions, not be forced into scope creep
dealing with content, copyright, etc. However, there is a problem with
the public, even the concerned public, in understanding who does what in
Internet governance, and what should be done by whom. Somehow those
concerned publics, including government policy makers, need a more
sophisticated understanding of the appropriate venues for addressing DNS
issues. Preferably we get good policy through awareness and education,
and not by lessons learned from bad policy.

The 2014 dialogue around the .health and .doctor gTLD issues is
instructive here. Both gTLDs made ICANN a lightning rod for domain name
registration and content issues, issues to which ICANN could not
respond. The issues were outside the ICANN remit and blocking the gTLDs
would have been bad policy. However, the wider .health discussion within
the global health constituency had little effect on either raising
awareness about where the issues should be addressed, or why ICANN was
the wrong target. Also, the recent WIPO decision on the trumpcard.com
domain name dispute underscores how badly DNS copyright is addressed in
other venues.

In the absence of a broader and deeper understanding of the appropriate
venues for DNS issue resolution the Internet ecosystem is ripe for bad
DNS policy at multiple levels. ICANN, or whoever covers the core DNA
functions, will remain a target of misplaced pressure and this raises
the risks of bad policy decisions made in the wrong venues.

As well, there is a rising tide of government policies, and some
commercial or corporate efforts, that look to putting up more fences and
gates in an Internet enclosure movement. Some of these initiatives (e.g.
online gambling) are revenue driven, and others (e.g. internet.org) are
clothed in public interest objectives. In addition, the multilateral
trade-related treaties on the table have extensive scope for corporate
driven Internet policy setting through case law from non-transparent
dispute resolution.

The core challenge of the DNS content and intellectual property issue is
not just keeping governments from forcing regulatory control on whoever
manages the DNS system. It includes raising the capacity of the
stakeholder communities to understand what principles are at stake, what
issues are important, and what are the appropriate venues for dispute
resolution? This is a challenge to stakeholders and their
constituencies, and not just a challenge to ICANN.

Sam L.

> On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 2:49 PM, David Post <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     [Apologies for cross-posting]
>

>     This really is starting to look, as Milton said, ominous - coupled
>     with the pressure being placed upon ICANN to regulate message
>     content, see
>     http://www.internetcommerce.org/senate-judiciary-to-ip-czar/
>
>     my take on this is here:
>
>     http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/05/04/internet-governance-what-if-the-sky-really-is-falling/
>
>     If the final proposal does not have real safeguards against
>     ICANN's content-regulation powers, we're all in trouble.

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: [log in to unmask]   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852