Hi David

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 2:08 PM, David Post <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Forgive what may be a very stupid question, but I remain confused about something.

Noting stupid in asking questions/clarification(not asking may be)....i do that a lot as well. Do find my response below and do note that its how i understand this (i may be wrong as well, but until i am convinced otherwise ;-) )

Earlier in this thread, Seun Ojedeji wrote:

In the current configuration, PTI is not in the position to issue RFP, it's rather the parent (ICANN) that is in the position to issue RFP based on the recommendation of IRF team/possible escalation from CSC. The later which is not yet very clear. So PTI is basically entering the current shoes of ICANN and ICANN will be entering the shoes of NTIA post-transition.

These aren't consistent with one another, are they?  If  Seun's description is correct, PTI takes over for ICANN and ICANN takes over for NTIA; PTI decides [via its own processes] on root zone changes, and sends them to ICANN for approval. "Policy-making" for the root is PTI's job (the way that, currently, it's ICANN's job); ICANN's job is passing along the changes proposed by PTI for implementation in the root.

I think the point of distinction is the role of ICANN at the moment; there is ICANN as a policy making body and there is ICANN as the IANA operator (i.e policy implementer). The later is what is covered in my statement above. Simply put, the policy implementation role of ICANN goes to PTI while ICANN continue being the policy making body but also assume a new role of awarding contract to PTI (current role of NTIA)

  On the other hand, maybe it's not correct to characterize the situation as Seun did - perhaps the idea here is that ICANN will be the policy-maker for root changes.

Yeah ICANN remain the policy maker post-transition but also becomes the entity to determine if PTI will continue to be policy implementer.

That said, do note that ICANN referred to here is not just the board/staff, its the entire community as everyone have a role to play in the process (especially as it concerns names).

I must be misunderstanding something, but I'm not sure what --

I hope that helps clarify my point

Cheers!

David

*******************************
David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic publications etc.  http://www.davidpost.com

Seun Ojedeji,