We are getting some press interest in the privacy proxy issue.  I encourage you all to get people to sign on to the petition (savedomainprivacy.org) or send in comments.  Thanks to Cheapdomains, we have thousands of individual comments on the website now http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ppsai-initial-05may15/.  I thought I would share my comments to one of the journalists who was looking for a couple of the basic questions on the privacy proxy debate.
cheers
Stephanie Perrin

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: Any comment on the domain registration furor?
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 19:01:06 -0300
From: Stephanie Perrin <[log in to unmask]>

I am a member of the non-commercial users constituency (NCUC)(www.ncuc.org) at ICANN, and I am a member of the PPSAI working group.

1.  The issue of prohibiting use of privacy/proxy services by registrants who engage in financial transactions on a website raises several issues for me:
2.  The use of privacy/proxy services is necessary to protect certain fundamental human rights of registrants, notably privacy, freedom of expression, and the right to anonymous freedom of assembly.  Forcing registrants to place their confidential information, including phone numbers and addresses, puts them at risk and jeopardizes those rights.

3.  I was one of several civil society representatives on the working group. Please let me know if you wish to contact the others.
Kind regards, Stephanie Perrin