From: NCSG-Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Flávio Rech Wagner
Sent: Friday, July 3, 2015 1:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NCSG-Discuss] Weekly web review : WSIS+10, ICANN 53, APrIGF 2015, GIGA, Netmundial initiative, cyberpolitics, etc....

Hi Milton

The two links related to "GIGA" come from the Chinese press. It seems that the Chinese have decided to "rebrand" NMI as GIGA maybe for internal political reasons. We may remember that China did not support the final NETmundial declaration.

But it is exactly the same initiative, and its name continues to be NETMundial Initiative.

Regards

Flavio

A useful compilation, thanks.

I wonder whether anyone else is as confused as I am about the relationship between these two things: GIGA is described as ICANN, CGI.BR, and World Economic Forum, which sounds suspiciously similar to NETmundial initiative. Has NETmundial been rebranded as GIGA? Or have the supporters of NMI done an end-run around their community and set up a separate structure where they can make the decisions?

NETMUNDIAL

NETmundial Initiative Charts Path to Better Web Governance at Brazil Meeting
http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=2391442&CategoryId=14090

GLOBAL INTERNET GOVERNANCE ALLIANCE

China's role highlighted at global Internet governance meeting
http://www.globalpost.com/article/6600936/2015/07/01/chinas-role-highlighted-global-internet-governance-meeting

Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba, elected co-chairman of Global Internet Governance Alliance
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-07/01/c_134373596.htm

--
Olévié Ayaovi Agbenyo KOUAMI
Président/CEO de INTIC4DEV (http:www.intic4dev.org)