Many of us on this list have heard the lines on security vs privacy, notably the ones on terrorism that go something like this:  "If you knew what I know, you would not be fighting for privacy rights", or "if you had ever experienced terrorism, you would not feel this way".  Simon Davies, the founder of Privacy International, has written what I think is a great piece on this topic.  I recommend it, especially for those of us who are trying to get human rights considered more thoughtfully at ICANN.

http://www.privacysurgeon.org/blog/incision/why-the-terrorist-attacks-ive-endured-have-strengthened-my-commitment-to-privacy/

Kind regards,
Stephanie Perrin
NCSG