But if that's the meaning of the laguage,
shouldn't we still be worried about it?  I would
think that the mission statement SHOULD "prohibit
ICANN from imposing other obligations on
registries/registrars," no?  That is, ICANN
should not be permitted to impose obligations on
registries/registrars, by contract or otherwise,
obligations that are not within its mission -
doesn't this language cut dramatically against that?
David

At 04:04 PM 8/18/2015, Paul Rosenzweig wrote:
>Ahhh … in context I think this is clear (or at
>least it is to me).  The concern was that by
>restricting ICANN’s mission and prohibiting it
>from regulating services or content we might
>inadvertently be also prohibiting ICANN for
>imposing other obligations on
>registries/registrars.  All this is intended to
>say (and the language may be inartful) is that
>the mission limitation on regulation of services
>and content does not OTHERWISE limit the
>remaining contractual authorities of
>ICANN.  That, at least, was the thrust of the
>conversation in Paris and that is what this
>summary in para 158 is intended to capture.
>
>Paul
>
>Paul Rosenzweig
>
>O: +1 (202) 547-0660
>M: +1 (202) 329-9650
>VOIP: +1 (202) 738-1739
>Skype: paul.rosenzweig1066
><http://www.redbranchconsulting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=9>Link
>to my PGP Key

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music
http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic  publications