I’d support that.
--MM

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brenden Kuerbis
Sent: Friday, September 4, 2015 1:22 PM
To: Mueller, Milton L
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NCSG-Discuss] [Consultation] Important NCSG draft comment on ICG IANA stewardship proposal

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Mueller, Milton L <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Each OC has its own procedures for ensuring continuity and stability in their proposals.
E.g., the IETF requires ICANN to commit to those parts of the legacy IANA contract that require cooperation with the new operator and continuity; the RIR proposal has similar arrangements.
The biggest transition compatibility problem that the different OCs and ICG identified was the trademarks and domains. If these are moved to an independent (non-IFO) trust, that problem should be resolved.

On the issue of IANA-related IP, I've suggested in the document Comments that we adopt an actual position. Personally, I very much agree with the comments recently submitted by ISOC. NCSG could simply NCSG endorse it:

http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-comments-iana-stewardship-transition-proposal<https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-comments-iana-stewardship-transition-proposal&sa=D&usg=AFQjCNHgjGesKBS6evLYLEmdiV-Zw_3lBQ>

"Moreover, the issue regarding the proper home of the IANA trademarks and the IANA domain names (iana.org<https://www.google.com/url?q=http://iana.org&sa=D&usg=AFQjCNEE7vFteBrnfetD9NTKawH-r6I_ag>; iana.net<https://www.google.com/url?q=http://iana.net&sa=D&usg=AFQjCNEUoJIc1wDiC2DDxAmBOi5trKwJSw>; and, iana.com<https://www.google.com/url?q=http://iana.com&sa=D&usg=AFQjCNFCGTkO-fFUPDg88XACHZK97DNIrg>) remains unsettled. The Internet Society agrees that the IANA-related intellectual property rights should be held by an independent entity in order to ensure that these assets are used in a non-discriminatory, stable and predictable manner for the benefit of all communities, users and the Internet. The IETF [6] and the CRISP [7] team have both indicated that they consider the IETF Trust to be an acceptable candidate for holding the trademark and domain. Further, the IETF Trust has said that it would be willing to hold intellectual property rights related to the IANA function [8]. Given the experience of the IETF Trust in holding, maintaining and licensing certain existing and future intellectual property and other property used in connection with the Internet standards process and its administration, we believe that the IETF Trust has the competency and legitimacy to serve as this independent entity. The licensing policy considerations that would accompany a transfer of the IPR for the operations of IANA are substantive in nature; it will be important to carry out a process to identify the concerns of the parties and for achieving community consensus on these matters."

-- Brenden

What we want to avoid is any statement or implication that any one OC has to get the approval of the other OCs to change their IANA functions operator. That won’t fly politically, as we have learned several times.

--MM