James,

Early on it was difficult to find copies of the contract itself, but here is what NYC now has online. http://www1.nyc.gov/site/forward/initiatives/dotnyc/dotnycdocs.page The main contract with appendices is about 300 pages long. I assume that the 600 page references are to the additional parts dealing with Domain names held on ICANN collision list; Domain names restricted by ICANN;  Domain names reserved for marketing and business development; Domain names reserved for the City of New York; and the Premium names list.

Also, here is the link to the preliminary agreement: http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/forward/documents/dotnyc/Neustar-TLD-Signed%20Agreement_Redacted.pdf

For more information about how .nyc rolled out, your best bet is to contact Thomas Lowenhaupt. He is a key civil society person who has kept on top of the whole process.

These documents are good "food for thought" for potential Latin America, Africa and Asian applicants for new-gTLDs.

Sam L.