Exactly! A robust , cost effective and timely appeal mechanism is required!

Robust - An appellate body that is independent and transparent and its
decisions are enforceable and binding on ICANN,
Cost effective - appeals that are easily accessible and affordable to all
applicants to pursue; and
Timely - the process is swift.

These simple things will make the DIDP process a lot more transparent and
by extension strengthen accountability at ICANN.

Re-consideration of an ICANN's decision to refuse a DIDP request to the
Board or to the Ombudsman ( who reports to the said Board) is
unsatisfactory as it is open to undue influence by the Board / Ombudsman by
caused by the day to day working relationships that those persons enjoy
with the persons whose decision is being challenged - this is an inherently
flawed model that does not promote confidence in the appeal process.

regards

Karel DOUGLAS