Dear all,

During the NCPH Third Plenary Session at the 2016 NCPH Intersessional meeting held last February, there was a discussion regarding GNSO review and reform that was co-chaired by Rudi Vansnick and Tony Holmes. An action item from the Intersessional meeting was the formation of a discussion group to discuss the future of the GNSO within the NCPH.

On Wednesday, 20 April 2016, a few of the NCPH delegates who attended the Intersessional meeting, met for an initial discussion regarding forming a GNSO Futures Discussion group. The recording for this call and future calls can be found on the newly created Wiki space: https://community.icann.org/x/eEaAAw.

Wiki space: A new Wiki space has been created for this group is at: https://community.icann.org/x/ckaAAw. Please note that this space is still under formation and is intended to be used as a collaboration space.   Your input is greatly appreciated to ensure this space is effective for community members within the NCPH.

INPUT REQUEST

In effort to move this group forward, we would like you to help us-

1. to identify 3 key challenges facing ICANN, and 3 key challenges facing GNSO,
2. revise a list of questions first shared during the Intersessional. These questions will help guide the discussion group moving forward and can be reviewed at, https://community.icann.org/x/5kiAAw .

Kindly send your responses/feedback to Chantelle Doerksen, [log in to unmask]by no later than MAY 2016 at 23:59 UTC. Chantelle will collect the responses, and work with Maryam Bakoshi, Rudi Vansnick, and Tony Holmes, to compile/organize them for the next call.

The next call will be scheduled after May 6th 2016

We look forward to hearing from you and request that any input/comments that you may have be submitted.

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Chantelle Doerksen & Maryam Bakoshi (Secretariats, CSG & NCSG)

On behalf of Rudi Vansnick and Tony Holmes

Attendance: Amr Elsadr, Avri Doria, Denise Michel, Frazaneh Badiei, Greg Shatan, Marilyn Cade, Osvaldo Novoa, Philip Corwin, Rafik Dammak, Rudi Vansnick, Susan Payne, Tapani Tarvainen, Tony Holmes | Apologies: Jimson Olufuye, Matthew Shears, Sam LanFranco | Staff: Chantelle Doerksen, Maryam Bakoshi

mp3 linkhttps://icann.box.com/shared/static/q26z33ghjtiro7fyzxavn5228w5jknk2.mp3

Transcription: attached

AC Notes:

GNSO Futures Call

Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 14:00 UTC

New addition to the agenda: GNSO Council (between items 3 & 4)

1. Introductions

2. Proposed Charter

   a. determine a common set of issues for the House to present

   b. Add a portion to outline next steps

   c. Chantelle to collect input, [log in to unmask]

3. Election of co-Chairs

  a. rename co-chairs to "co-facilitators"

  b. rename working group to "discussion group"

4. Discussion in Council - GNSO Reform

5.  Review of earlier discussions during the Intercessional meeting in LA (PowerPoint presentation)

6. Review of initial questions posed in LA

  a. Chantelle to circulate questions to the list, to request Feedback

  b. Rudi, Tony to compile feedback

PowerPoint presentation Link: https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/49357771/NCPH_Plenary3_Future%20of%20GNSO.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1455211716000&api=v2

7. Proposed way forward

   a. Wiki space to be created on 20 April 2016, and sent to groups

         - Called: Discussion Group, co-facilitators

   b. draft agenda for next meeting

   c. May 6th deadline for feedback; allows opportunity for others outside of this call to engage and join

   d. Consider sending a notice to the Contracted Parties House, once next call occurs/items to discuss have been decided on

   e. In Helsinki, TBD: schedule a meeting with Contracted Parties House (request needs to be sent sooner than later for ICANN meetings team to reserve a room.)

   f. Set milestones/action items leading towards a joint meeting in Helsinki

8. Actions and plan for future meetings

  a. Next Call to be scheduled after May 6th deadline.

AC Chat

  Chantelle Doerksen:Welcome to the GNSO Futures Call on Wednesday, 20 April 2016 at 14:00 UTC.

  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all, I am connecting my audio just now

  Chantelle Doerksen:Hi Osvaldo, welcome

  Philip Corwin:Good morning. I have a conflict in 30 minutes and shall need to drop off then.

  Chantelle Doerksen:Noted, thanks Phil.

  Amr Elsadr:Is this the charter under discussion: ?https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vakZcYa0cStGwaCAbGtcNSkO9ZBzE29CIeRtaXr34UA/edit?pref=2&pli=1

  Amr Elsadr:Would be happy to give a briefing on the Council's adoption of the GNSO Review Working Party's assessment of the review, if folks would find that helpful.

  Avri Doria:is this a GNSO effort of a NCPH effort?

  Avri Doria:... or a ...

  Rudi Vansnick:i would maybe call it NCPH view on the GNSO future ?!

  Susan Payne IPC:apologies for being late

  Amr Elsadr:Until I understand a bit more about what the common concerns we have with the current structure are, I will not agree or disagree. :)

  Rudi Vansnick: good points Avri, illustrates the need of clarification from our side

  Susan Payne IPC:+1 to Avri - Good point re bolstering the house structure

  Denise Michel:sorry. audio was disconnected

  Rudi Vansnick:+1 Tony : informal group

  Rudi Vansnick:the idea was/is to start the debate and exchanges of ideas

  Denise Michel:+1 for Tony

  Greg Shatan:Does the term "Discussion Group" work?

  Denise Michel:yes

  Avri Doria:do we need chairs, or are wee fine with two coordinators

  Greg Shatan:Yes -2 is better

  Amr Elsadr:I'm fine with either 1 or 2.

  Avri Doria:discussion co-leaders?

  Avri Doria:2 of whatever is fine.

  Avri Doria:discussion group is fine.  and discussion groups have discussion leaders.

  Osvaldo Novoa:I am ok with either

  Amr Elsadr:Or a working party, which is a common term for lightweight groups like this?

  Amr Elsadr:How can anyone abuse a party?! :)

  Greg Shatan:Amr, I cannot share my college experiences in the chat, but I can assure it can happen.

  Avri Doria:fascilitator is a nice term too

  Greg Shatan:See, e.g.,. "Animal House."

  Amr Elsadr:From a GNSO perspective, my impression is that the difference between WPs and WGs is that WPs are chartered by GNSO SGs as opposed to the GNSO Council.

  Amr Elsadr:Well..., except for the GNSO Review WP, which has no charter.

  Greg Shatan:Good point, Susan.  This group's formation is kind of an historical accident.  Getting beyond that would be good -- adding different folks is part of that.

  Amr Elsadr:Apologies if I'm a bit slow on catching up with any previous discussion. Just learned about this group a few hours ago.

  Rudi Vansnick:+1 Tony each chair should communicate this to their respective group

  Greg Shatan:If we have a mandate to do that, we can do that within the IPC.

  Susan Payne IPC:I'd be very happy for Tony and Rudi to carry this forward as the facilitators

  Greg Shatan:If this was the 1960's to early1970's, we could call this a "rap group."  By the 1980's, that term took on an entirely different meaning....

  Philip Corwin:Apologies but I must drop off now to join another call. I shall look to Denise to advise me of what tarnspires during second half.

  Amr Elsadr:Apologies..., what was the question?

  Chantelle Doerksen:Thanks Phil for joining. The mp3 and transcription will be sent when available.

  Avri Doria:and this will be open archive so others not in the dg and perhaps not even in ncph can see the discussion.  hope so.

  Chantelle Doerksen:@Avri, that's a very good point. We can make these available as an open archive.

  Rudi Vansnick:+1 Avri & Chantelle

  Chantelle Doerksen:This presentation is also available on the Wiki: https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/49357771/NCPH_Plenary3_Future%20of%20GNSO.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1455211716000&api=v2

  Amr Elsadr:@Chantelle: What is the URL for this group's wiki, please?

  Chantelle Doerksen:@ Amr: sure, one moment

  Chantelle Doerksen:We do not have a wiki group yet; the NCPH Intersessional Wiki was..

  Chantelle Doerksen:https://community.icann.org/display/ncph/Intersessional+-+February+2016

  Greg Shatan:I think these are good questions.

  Denise Michel:seems like a good way to start, tony

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Chantelle.

  Denise Michel:or Tont (nickname?)

  Farzaneh Badiei:"big bang" approach ?

  Chantelle Doerksen:should we create a Wiki space- do all agree ?

  Tont Holmes:i hope not! Cant trust my typing that far

  Greg Shatan:Yes, Chantelle.

  Chantelle Doerksen:Thanks Greg

  Rudi Vansnick:i agree, we should start having a wiki as it will allow everybody to have a look of what we are working on

  Marilyn Cade:apologies to be late.

  Chantelle Doerksen:Thanks Rudi. We'll create the space send and send the link later today or early tomorrow.

  Chantelle Doerksen:Hi Marilyn, welcome

  Greg Shatan:Is there stuff from the ATRT we should bring in?

  Greg Shatan:And how might this interact with ATRT3?

  Denise Michel:+1 @Chantelle re wiki

  Denise Michel:+1 Amr re using these questions as stepping off point and add more

  Chantelle Doerksen:thank you. We'll post mp3 and transcripts to the Wiki space, calling it a Discussion Group with Co-Facilitators

  Marilyn Cade:Let's not be only consumed with ATRT3, or Accountability, though.

  Amr Elsadr:A key to handling anything from the GNSO Review final report would be to first perform some sort of critical appraisal of it as a group. This is very common when taking the findings of any study (qualitative or quantitative) seriously. Just wanted to stress that point.

  Chantelle Doerksen:That works

  Marilyn Cade:I would propose that we also edit this question on Issues to be first: 3 key challenges facing ICANN, then 3 key challenges facing GNSO?

  Chantelle Doerksen:6th of May as a deadline

  Chantelle Doerksen:Was trying to come off of mute. Agreed

  Marilyn Cade:I thought htat we were working on this House first, and then...

  Marilyn Cade:I support moving this to the second call.

  Marilyn Cade:time and meeting space is very limited in Helsinki, I am told.

  Amr Elsadr:Meeting B format is meant to focus on policy work.

  Denise Michel:+ Tony for Helsinki meeting

  Amr Elsadr:I suspect that there will be several groups disappointed for not being able to hold F2Fs in Helsinki.

  Marilyn Cade:I am a little cautious, though, but perhaps also a doodle about who wil be attending and when arriving might be userul to see if Monday could have an hour or so

  Marilyn Cade:Yes, Amr. I agree

  Denise Michel:@Amr - it would be great to see a strong focus on policy work; current GNSO schedule in Helsinki doesn't show that

  Rudi Vansnick:many thanks to all of you for this meeting

  Susan Payne IPC:I'm happy with trying to meet with CPH in Hel;sinki, but if we can't we could try to open discussion by Adobe meetings and then have a really substantive meeting in "Puerto Rico"

  Chantelle Doerksen:Shall we send a Doodle Poll for the next call?

  Chantelle Doerksen:Noted, thanks!

  Greg Shatan:We should try to meet as a group in Helsinki if possible, as well...

  Amr Elsadr:@Denise: Fortunately, some of the heavier policy work is still in very early phases. May be a good time to "experiment" with the format of the B meeting now, me thinks. :)

  Amr Elsadr:@Greg: Sounds good.

  Denise Michel:@ Amr - early, heavy policy work can benefit from f2f

  Marilyn Cade:thanks to all

  Susan Payne IPC:thanks all

  Greg Shatan:That's our signal to stop....

  Farzaneh Badiei:thank you

  Chantelle Doerksen:Maryam and I will work together for next steps

  Denise Michel:Thank you Tony!

  Chantelle Doerksen:Thank you Rudi and Tony

  Avri Doria:bye all

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.

  Rudi Vansnick:bye

  Farzaneh Badiei:bye

  Greg Shatan:Thank you for stimiulating all of us.

  Osvaldo Novoa:Thank you and best regards,

  Greg Shatan:Bye all!

  Denise Michel:Bye all

  Greg Shatan:We're off to a good start.

Many thanks,
--

Maryam Bakoshi

Secretariat ˇ©Support - NCSG, NCUC, NPOC

Email:  [log in to unmask]

Mobile:  +44 7737 698036

Skype:  maryam.bakoshi.icann