I have not looked through the entire document, but I would highlight on page 167 that the decisional threshold for approval actions– approving changes to fundamental bylaws, the articles, and asset sales – under the GAC carve out is set at approval of two decisional participants.

The standard is support from 3 decisional participants. In other words, the interpretation of the GAC carve out in this instance would actually reverse the intent. The purpose is to allow the EC to retain its powers in the face of GAC consensus advice by preventing GAC participation in such decisions. This adjustment would do the opposite. By lowering the threshold to approve to 2 from 3, it effectively institutionalizes the GAC supporting vote (presumably the GAC would support an approval action based on a consensus GAC decision).

I believe this is a mistake resulting from the affirmative action versus rejection action dynamic. The approval action threshold under the GAC carve-out should remain at 3 to preserve the power of the EC in those circumstances.

As an aside, I do not understand why it requires four decisional participants to reject the budget and strategic plan and only three to approve changes to fundamental bylaws. It seems to me that the latter is a more serious matter than the first, but I guess it is too late to change this.

From: NCSG-Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Edward Morris
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 3:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: HR activists take note: A review of the draft bylaws on the mission, core values and commitments

Hi Milton,

I've digested all 216 pages of the proposed changes and although there are areas I have some quibbles with there is nothing that would cause me great alarm. Sections 22.7 and 22.8 are actually far better than I expected, surprisingly and positively cite the CCC for precdential purpose and include a robust appeals process. In the area I have the most expertise in, this one,  I'm delighted. The drafters clearly took account of the spirit of our desire for transparency as well as the black letter of the final CCWG report.

I do expect to make an intervention on tomorrow's call regarding issue 3 on the Issues List to ensure appeals procedures equivalent to that involved in section 22.7 are available for petitioners whose request for transparency in the reconsideration process are denied by the Board via reference to the exclusionary clauses. We do not want a repeat of the DCND list in reference to the DIDP which is overused, IMHO, in denying legitimate documentation requests.

I actually want to complement ICANN Legal, Jones Day, Sidley and Adler. Not perfect and we do have time to ferret out the errors as they appear but IMHO a remarkable rewrite considering the time pressures. I'd encourage CCWG and CWG participants for now to focus on the Issues List, which for CCWG participants will be the focus of our call tomorrow.

Best,

Ed