Hi Olevie,

for clarification, the request for endorsement was made to NCSG and its executive committee. some people are disagreeing and think that is better that organizational and individuals can endorse individually.

another clarification to avoid confusion, NCUC has organizational and individual members.

Best,

Rafik

Hi !

+1 @Milton.
IMHO, in NCUC vision this kind of campaign could be supported only by individuals.

We now have similar campaign in an ongoing agenda in Africa be whole such as the FastAfrica week (from 1 - 7 May 2016) https://webwewant.org/fast-africa/

 And before this :
African Declaration of Human Rights on Internet http://africaninternetrights.org/

etc.

Dearest all,

I wanted to rebound on MM reaction on this thread to erase once again the old debate on NCUC vs NPOC in the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group. I finally learnd that the debate was before year 2011, when the NPOC came into birth in June 2011.

The NPOC will celebrate it's 5 years old in June.

So, I have a question on particuliarly this action/topic for the NCSG leasdership : isn't that, this kind of campaign is related to a Not-for-Profit concerns specifically mostly than fo a NC Users  ?

As so, IMHO, NPOC as the Not-for-Profit organizations Constituency (like AFRICA 2.0) could easily endorse it as a constituency.

Please, It's my humble opinion. But I need to have more clarification about this problem since I hace join NCSG and NPOC after it birth.

Please, give me more light on this topic few days before the NPOC celebration of it's 5 years old ?

Grace
As far as I know we have not endorsed anything as NCUC - but if we have, I was against it at the time. 😉
My concern is that this seemingly innocuous issue sets a precedent and before you know it we get 20 requests per year to endorse campaigns and causes that are not related to our actual scope of policy making authority. Some of those issues might divide us, leading to long debates that detract from our ability to do the things we are supposed to do.

I see potential for a huge time waste.  It's not like we have too little to do

So: publicity among and endorsements by NCUC members, Yes. Formal endorsement by NCUC, No.

Milton L Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology