Hi

First, I'd like to thank and express support for document drafted.

I've also read the last comments and I have to say that it bothers me more the word 'nation' than the 'state'.
If misrepresentation of a region is a concern, a nation is an even harder concept to invest on, as it relies in cultural bonds.
That said the variation in the recognition of states is political and should be treated as such. Acknowledging any of the strucures of state recognition available is choosing sides and leaving regions behind.
Last but not least important I would again stress the concept of region as different from nation/state. So if a region presents its case of reasons to join the ICANN ecosystem independently and the community finds there is merit in such case, it should be considered.
I'd also refer to the ISOC concept of "special interest group" and stretch it to imagine its application on regions. Could the Sahara be a region? Or the Amazon?
It is unlikely the needs of these places are being adressed by their states, could acknowledging them as special regions present a way out?
I know I bring more questions than answers but at least starting to analyse this should be important.

Best,

Renata