Dear all,

Following what was discussed in our NCSG call today, we will discuss this
draft on the next days with the goal to achieve a stable version. This
version will be then taken to the Policy Committee for deliberation with
regards to potential NCSG endorsement. The proposed timeline will be:

- Until 16/03 11:59 UTC: Please make your final comments to the draft. Try
to propose concrete text directly to the document (tracking changes) and
with the goal of gravitating the group towards consensus.
- Until 17/03 11:59 UTC: Ayden and PC co-chairs will clean the document and
introduce it to the PC.
- Until 22/03 11:59 UTC: PC deliberation
- 23/03 - PC co-chairs send the comment, if there is agreement

I hope it works for everyone.

Thanks!
Marília

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Tracy F. Hackshaw @ Google <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikeoghia>
>>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Subrenat, Jean-Jacques <[log in to unmask]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>> I share Edward's concerns, and offer a few comments:
>>>
>>> 1) In the ICANN ecosystem, the GAC is the (only) place where states are
>>> represented as such. It follows, therefore, that we should do nothing that
>>> would weaken the current arrangements within the GAC, where (to take the
>>> example mentioned by Edward) both Beijing and Taipei are fully represented.
>>>
>>> 2) The question of "geographic regions" within ICANN needs to be viewed
>>> in the wider context of geo-strategic realities, with its complexities and
>>> inadequacies. In this respect, one of the most striking developments in
>>> recent years has been a growing convergence between states built on widely
>>> different political models, with regard to fundamental rights. Take the
>>> trend towards mass surveillance: the revelations by Edward Snowden in 2014
>>> have shown to what extent a well-established democracy is, in fact,
>>> engaging in practices which have been (rightly) criticized in theocracies
>>> and single-party autocracies. I have called this a "regrettable
>>> convergence",
>>>
>>> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130826_global_surveillance_towards_convergence/
>>>
>>> 3) The Internet is still, to some extent, a preserved area of liberty,
>>> freedom of expression, human rights. It is important for our communities to
>>> be aware of the current threats and future perils, and that they help
>>> preserve, at least in the narrow area of their volunteer engagement in
>>> ICANN, the principles of freedom, democratic representation, diversity,
>>> fairness.
>>>
>>> 4) Specifically, what can we add to the current debate about "geographic
>>> areas" in ICANN? Several points deserve our attention:
>>> - Using the word "state" as a blanket definition is dangerous, as the
>>> translation thereof would be left mostly in the hands of states. If we were
>>> to choose, say, "region" (diqu 地区 or quyu 区域), no one could stop a state
>>> from translating that into "guojia 国家", which in that language refers to
>>> the government,the administration, the state. That would then open the door
>>> to fatwas of exclusion.
>>> - On this thread, it has been suggested that the term "special interest
>>> group" could be applied also to some geographic regions. In my view, this
>>> is also dangerous as it would give credence to a state that does not accept
>>> the autonomous existence of another entity: you would have 2 distinct
>>> categories, states with full status, and "special interest groups" with an
>>> inferior status.
>>> - I suggest that we promote the term "states and other collective
>>> entities", which would cover sovereign states, regions, including states
>>> challenged by other states.
>>> - As "geographic regions" is being discussed also in other parts of
>>> ICANN, including ALAC, I am copying this email to Tijani Ben Jemaa, who is

>>> BARBADOS
>>> BERMUDA
>>> CAYMAN ISLANDS
>>> DOMINICA
>>> GRENADA
>>> GUADELOUPE
>>> JAMAICA

--
*Marília Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio