@ed +1

Carlos Raúl GUTIERREZ
Apartado 1571-1000
San José COSTA RICA

On May 24, 2016 11:40 AM, "Edward Morris" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
HI McTim,

Although I might be surprised, I doubt the NCSG will have a consensus on an approach to the transition.

I strongly support the Heritage approach to the transition. It should be noted that Brett made it very clear that he supports the transition. I believe the words he used, words that seem to have confused a few people here, were "I support the transition".  It's just that his position, IMHO, takes a far more mature, sophisticated and nuanced approach to the matter than the speed racer approach  espoused during the Senate hearing by our commercial colleagues.

From the perspective of the noncommercial commiunity, the soft graduated transition is the better option for two very specific reasons:

1. In creating an accountable ICANN we reinvented the corporation. Our new corporate model is untried, untested and is a completely new construction without precedent. Many of us in the NCSG preferred a membership model based upon California statute that had greater certainty. Our views were rejected. I don't know if the model we have created will actually work as intended. No one does. This was so rushed there has yet to even have been a comprehensive expensing of the costs of the new model. It would be irresponsible, in my view, to take the irrevocable move of granting ICANN independence without first ascertaining whether the governance model we have created is at least nominally sustainable and workable. The security and stability of the DNS is just too important to gamble with. Let's see if it works before we gamble with the future of the administration of the DNS.

2. Human rights, diversity, staff accountability, transparency, the availability of an ombudsman: these are and have been amongst the highest priorities of the NCSG and our members during the accountability process. Unlike the concerns of the commercial community,  our concerns were often orphaned into work stream 2 where the leverage of the transition would no longer exist. This was no accident and I fear the consequences.

A soft graduated transition guarantees our concerns and goals will have the same leverage as that possessed by the commercial community when they successfully pursued their interests (such as budgetary input and approval, which many of us in the noncommercial world view as dangerous) in work stream 1. WE and our concerns deserve no less.

I understand and respect the view of those within the NCSG and the CSG who want to rush the transition through out of fear it is now or never. I don't agree with their view, finding it a bit simplistic and lacking recognition of complex realities that negate the possibility of an immediate alternative to ICANN springing up during the next few years. I also care little about officials of the Obama administration who would like to leave office having seen the transition accomplished during the last few months of their now dying regime.

We have one chance to get this done right, for the world, for our Members and for those ideas and values we represent. Let's take the proper time to do so, to make sure we all have what need.

Thanks Brett for your fine testimony today before the United States Senate.

Respectfully,

Ed