De : NCSG-Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Sam Lanfranco
Envoyé : lundi 6 juin 2016 13:39
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: Update: CSCG & IGF Planning Retreat

I may sound like a piano with one key in re-making the following (possibly unpopular) observation:

The Internet ecosystem has matured over the past 15 years and more and more stakeholders, including nation states, have acquired a deeper realization of what their stakes are in the boarder Internet ecosystem. Much of that territory is outside ICANN's remit and presents them with governance issues. There is no doubt that a sort of Internet ecosystem "enclosure movement" is coming, with elements national and multilateral ecosystem governance on the horizon. Within this there is a confusion around what is, and what is not, within ICANN's DNS remit. So long as stakeholders outside ICANN do not understand the scope and limits of ICANN's remit there will be confusion on the part of nation states and other stakeholder constituencies as they operate in their individual interest and the public interest. This increases the risks of working at cross purposes where there should be collaboration. Are there any lessons in this confusion? I think so.

Sam L.