Bill,

The core issue for me is "Who is minding the kitchen at home?". I have worked for years (decades) in other areas where the stakeholders try to deal with domestic/national issues by only engaging in struggles on the global stage. That is a very limited strategy, and even more so here.  Internet Citizenship will require vigilance and active participation "at home". Unless one engages in those governance struggles at home, there will be limited success with governance issues in multilateral organizations, and even less at home. It may feel good to speak on a global stage, but if one's own government is not listening it is of limited impact.

The Internet governance table needs three multistakeholder engagement legs: 1. within ICANN; 2. within the multilateral venues; 3. within the national venues. With (or without) the IANA Transition the ICANN remit will be more clearly delineated by internal and external forces. There will be a smaller and more compact ICANN. What happens at multilateral venues depends on what is happening at national levels. Except in the case of very repressive regimes, there need to be struggles around the creation of new/better multistakeholder Internet governance processes within countries. Without that there will be little progress at the multilateral level.

As for the claim of "undesirable on some grounds or another", in part that reflects: (a)  special interest concerns about the balance of power, but it also reflects: (b) ambiguity about the relationship between multistakeholder representation and democratic processes. The first is mainly a power struggle but the second is a serious issue that requires deeper exploration beyond what ever policy issues are at hand.

Sam L.