Julf,

Thanks for citing the evolution of the OECD. Post WWII was a time when
the world listened to the lessons learned from the failures of diplomacy
after WWI. A whole raft of organizations, within the UN and outside the
UN, were created. Like the OECD many of those have evolved and those
that have not learned, and have not evolved, are the ones in the most
trouble and the ones we trust least at the moment.

I will go out on a limb and say that the ITU, because of the Internet,
is an organization at risk. Unless one believes in the unlikely position
that it will go away, our broader stakeholder challenge is to work
within our national contexts to help it evolve in productive ways that
are consistent with the global public interest. This is better than just
struggling to prevent it from subverting an open and free Internet
ecosystem, or staking claims on parts of the ICANN remit. I will go
further and suggest that ICANN could both tend to good policy within its
DNS remit, and become a recognized contributor to wider Internet
ecosystem policy ideas.

Sam L.,