All,

The EC  has made a decision at their meeting in the past hour and will communicate it soon.

James

From: NCSG-Discuss <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Paul Rosenzweig <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday 24 August 2016 at 16:12
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: *Important* NCSG 2016 Annual Elections - voting has started

Sam

In general, I agree with you as well.  But isn’t the nub of the problem here that after an open nomination process nobody stepped up to be a fourth candidate and challenge the “unpopular” one (assuming there is one)?  I have no idea why that happened since I’m not privy to people’s reasoning, but I would say that the lack of a fourth challenger is indicative of the lack of opposition – at least to a degree that people are willing to put their time where their concerns are.  NOTA is most closely associated with closed nomination systems where some “party apparatus” controls the nomination process and the “people” have no input in who their candidates are.  [Some in the US wish we had NOTA today! J]   Where the nomination process is open and self-nomination is permitted the need for thick NOTA (or for that matter thin NOTA) pretty much disappears ….

Paul

Paul Rosenzweig

O: +1 (202) 547-0660

M: +1 (202) 329-9650