From: NCSG-Discuss [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Edward Morris
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2016 10:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Views on the IANA Transition

Hi Milton,

I'm not sure how many of our Members know about push polling. It's a device we use in political campaigns where we pretend to be contacting voters for a poll but then add in a statement about a candidate designed to influence the voter. For example, a robocall might ask you if you support Rodrigo or Helen in an election, take your response, and then ask you if you knew that Rodrigo was, for example, a corrupt pedophile and wife beater. You would then be asked that, knowing this, whether you now supported Rodrigo or Helen. It's a tricky way to try to influence the voter without the voter being aware it is being done.

I'm bringing it up here, Milton, because, unintentionally I'm sure, one of our Members reading your post in a rushed fashion could get the impression that the transition is in danger of collapsing because of Republican pressure that I support. In fact, some have already made that mistake. For good reason, Milton - you mentioned it as a possibility, although fortunately admitting you weren't sure. I wish you had asked me straight up about my views on the transition in one of the nine emails we exchanged with each other on other matters during the last two weeks.  I could have cleared up any confusion you may have had. No big - thoughts like that, of course, are in no way true but just to ensure that folks don't get confused I'd like to clarify things for Members that don't know me or the situation perhaps as well as you do or should. I'll then try to answer your questions.

First, the transition will take place, as scheduled, on October 1st. Milton is aware of this as I sent him a courtesy e-mail on August 16th explaining that I had information indicating that Republican plans to stop the transition on the basis of the property argument had been abandoned. There might be some small move to delay matters but they would fail. Although I did not tell Milton the locus of my information, it was obtained from three different sources: two Democratic Congressional offices and a non-partisan think tank. This transition will take place as scheduled, barring some unexpected cataclysmic event.

As a Member you might ask what I'm doing talking to Congressional staff members. In the early days of the CCWG I pushed the group to hire Cam Kerry, brother of Secretary of State John Kerry, to serve as a political adviser for the CCWG. I failed, the initiative losing by a single vote. Cam works for Sidley, one of the CCWG's law firms, and is someone I've known and respected for over two decades. The CCWG has a number of fine Washington lobbyists as members, however they all are Republican in orientation. I've tried to fill the gap by talking on occasion to friends on the staffs of Democratic Senator Edward Markey and Democratic Representative Raul Grijalva, chair of the House Progressive caucus, to get from a Democratic perspective a sense of the current status of the transition on Capitol Hill. I'm well positioned to do so, having previously worked for Democratic Senator Edward Kennedy and Democratic Representative Gabrielle Giffords. Frankly, I didn't get a lot of useful information but when I got anything of even small value I'd pass it on to the tri-chairs of the CCWG to help them with their decision-making.  I'd also, on occasion, pass it on to other interested parties, such as I did last week with Milton.

So, please don't be confused by Mllton's hypothetical questions. The transition will take place as scheduled.

Second, the thought that I oppose the transition would be comical if it weren't so tragic. I doubt that anyone in this community has paid the personal price I have paid to try to make the transition happen. My engagement to be married fell apart last year, in large part because I spent so much time on the CCWG that I neglected my fiancé. My finances are dreadful; I've exhausted my savings and have faced eviction proceedings four times in the past two years. In fact, on July 29th I won a case in the Court of Appeal that, had I lost, would have seen me facing homelessness, needing to find a new place to live right about now. I'm currently working as many hours as I can to stay above water.  I'd suggest it would be pretty stupid to makes these sacrifices if my goal was to sink the transition.

Although there has been great help from so many of our members, much appreciated, only two other NCSG members - Robin Gross and Avri Doria - have put in the hours I have on this project. Robin, as our Member, and Avri, as the ATRT expert, receive ICANN travel support and have status in this effort. I do not. Yet by virtue of my active participation in so many CCWG related work groups (18 subteams plus the plenary) I've become part of the leadership of the Accountability working group. I am the only member of the CCWG to have been appointed by CCWG leadership to serve, at different times, as rapporteur for two subgroups. I'm currently the only member of the CCWG to serve in two leadership positions in work stream 2: as rapporteur for the CEP subgroup and as one of six members of the Legal Executive. As Milton has written, this transition proposal is not perfect. To make it better one might occasionally take positions that might in a vacuum seem unsupportive, but I doubt any one seriously involved in the CCWG doubts my commitment to getting this done. Leaders of movements and projects generally support them becoming reality.

(I can't wait to file the first Inspection request in history - to see what I worked so hard to get for the community actually happen is going to be a blast!).

(Even more fun will be litigating our first IRP against ICANN! I so much wanted to take our Trademark 50 case to an IRP but under the old system we couldn't afford it. With the reforms we've made now we can!)

As far as the impression a quick read of Milton's post could give that I'm a Republican, am working with Republicans or anything of the sort: that sound you heard coming from Massachusetts are my dead relatives rolling over in their graves at the thought. My great-grandfather, whom I'm named after, was the first Catholic ever elected to the Massachusetts State Senate. A Democrat, his portrait is featured in the Senate chamber. From my days as regional director of College Democrats of America, to my work on the Kennedy, Mondale, Brown, Dukakis, Kerry, and most recently, O'Malley presidential campaigns: I have never voted for a Republican, will never vote for a Republican, and this autumn will be working full time to elect a Democrat to the United States House of Representatives from Arizona's second Congressional district. It is said that a Southern "yellow dog" Democrat will vote for a male Democratic candidate for office unless he is found in bed with a "dead girl or a live pre-teen boy". To which, I simply respond "stuff happens". In Massachusetts you really aren't a Democrat until you've voted for someone sitting in jail or about to be sent there. : ) To think I would be supporting Republican anything...

Over the weekend a few Members have contacted me after reading Milton's post writing "I didn't know you were against the transition" or "I didn't know you were a Republican". Having focused my life the past two years on making this transition happen, and having spent my entire life following in my great grandpa's footsteps as a proud Democrat...I wanted to set the record straight. I guess the next thing that will be questioned is my loyalty to the greatest sports franchise in history, the Boston Celtics. That's pretty much all that is left to question me about things that I value.  Thanks for your patience. Onto the questions...

1. Do you think that if the U.S. Congress blocks the transition in the next 6 weeks that it will be a disaster for the multistakeholder model of Internet governance? Why or why not?

I find little in life is a disaster. We face challenges all of the time but I view them more as bumps in the journey of life that, in the true tradition of the internet, merely needs to be routed around.

Of course, as noted above, Congress is not going to block the transition in the next 6 weeks. Guaranteed. The transition is going to happen on October 1st as scheduled.

If hell freezes over and England becomes a sunny tropical paradise within the next six weeks...and the US Congress blocks the transition...it would not be good. As far as how non good, that would depend upon how Congress rejects the transition.

If a full vote of either chamber rejected the transition that would be really, really not good. It simply is not going to happen. The Republican leadership won't allow such a vote because the transition proposal would easily pass both the House and the Senate and they know it.

The likely way to block the transition would be to attach a rider to an unrelated bill that would delay the transition but not stop it in it's entirety. There was a time when I found that idea attractive, to keep the Board honest in implementing WS2, but in recent weeks I've been working with Board members on WS2 and believe that safeguard is no longer necessary. You can not underestimate the influence Becky Burr has had on the Board in her short time there. She is a superstar.

If a rider happened that delayed the transition it wouldn't be good. How not good depends upon who put it there, the support it had overall in Congress and a lot of other factors. Again, it may be threatened and attempted but it simply is not going to happen.

Right now the transition faces three acknowledged and alleged semi-threats from Congress:

Protecting Internet Freedom Act: this proposal co-sponsored by Ted Cruz would 1) force the administration to obtain Congressional approval before nonrenewal or transfer of the IANA contract and 2) gives the US government the .gov and .mil domains in perpetuity. This Act has absolutely no chance of becoming law.

Breach of the Appropriations Rider: The NTIA was prohibited by Congress from spending money on the tradition. The fact is it has. The remedy in such matters would not be blockage of the transition but rather more generally impeachment of the Executive. Barack Obama will not be impeached over this issue. (There are, of course, other possible remedies but none would impact the lapsing of the IANA contract).

Request to have Department of Justice investigate the extension of the Verisign contract: Senator Cruz etc. have asked for the transition to be stopped pending consideration of competition law effect of an early six year renewal of the Verisign cintract. I actually have some sympathy for the Cruz view on this matter, but I don't agree it should impact the transition in any meaningful way. It won't.

If something unexpected did happen, and I'm sure folks are plotting as we speak, and Congress blocks and delays the transition in the next six weeks: it would be bad but because we will figure a way around that little bump and make it happen anyway it would not be a disaster. The transition is going to happen.

2. Are you actively supporting the Heritage Foundation's (and other rightwing groups') efforts to mobilize Congressional Republicans to block the transition?

Milton, at a Congressional hearing a few months ago Brett Schaefer took an oath to tell the truth and proceeded to say "I support the transition". He has already responded to this post by writing "we are not opposed to the transition". If you any have information to the contrary, or if I'm not understanding something, I hope you'll let all of us know. Not only because it would be useful for understanding policy perspectives, but if Brett has lied to Congress, me and you, as a fellow Catholic I'll need to get him to confession right away!

I believe Brett to be an honorable man and take him at his word.

I should note that there seems to be an effort to tie me to the Heritage world view. Laughable. As Brett has accurately posted "I am surprised you are saying Ed is "aligned" with Heritage. I agree with Ed on some of his concerns with the transition, but we have significant policy differences as well". Milton, you as well best be careful as I note you've actually co-authored a blog post about the transition in Real Clear Policy with Heritage's Paul Rosenzweig: (http://www.realclearpolicy.com/blog/2015/10/14/icann_internet_governance_transition_hijacked_1443.html ) . The red H of Heritage may soon be applied to you. It does appear that Hawthorne was quite prescient in these things.

I'm happy to answer your question but for the sake of unchallenged accuracy let's leave Heritage out of it and insert TechFreedom, a libertarian think tank that is, in fact, trying to stop the transition, as a substitute for Heritage in your hypothetical.

No, I do not support TechFreedom's, or any other groups, right wing or left wing, efforts, actively or passively, to mobilize Congressional Republicans, or any other group, to stop the transition.

However, I have actively supported, in the real world and not just in theory, Business Constituency member Steve DelBianco's efforts to gain Congressional support for the transition ( I have even resorted to sending Steve messages in the middle of his Congressional testimony!) and I will continue to monitor Democratic opinion and if I detect anything but complete support will notify folks in the CCWG so corrective action may be taken.

3. How do you think we as a SG should respond if the transition is blocked by the U.S. Congress?

Again, the transition is not going to be blocked by the US Congress.

Our hypothetical reaction should depend upon why, how, by whom and with what support the blockage occurred.

Milton, if you'd like to construct some hypotheticals with specifics I'd be happy to respond. This isn't school, I'm not your student and any response I give may have real world implications should unexpectedly the transition get blocked as you have postulated above. It really depends upon the specifics of the block as to how we respond. It would be irresponsible for me to respond in general terms because I wouldn't want to be linked to a specific response should the unthinkable happen, as actual events may dictate a different response than one I would propose in general terms now.

If you do want to put together some scenarios, Milton, please be as specific as possible, including names of Congress people involved, vote totals, the official ICANN reaction and the reaction of the NTIA and Obama administration to the blockage. I'd then be very happy to recommend a course of action, if any, for the NCSG.

In lieu of giving you a complete answer to a question I don't feel gives me enough data with which to responsibly respond, let me tell you the real problem with the approach the NTIA is taking to the transition, the real dangers and what we as a stakeholder group can do in a small way to help this transition become reality.

Although a Democrat, I'm not a big fan of the Obama administration, their approach to Congressional relations nor their strategy for completing the transition. While I'm in favour of a hard transition, the administration appears to have chosen a softer approach that comes with it the danger of post transition recapture by the United States government. To be fair, the NTIA may have had little choice in the matter: Congress has largely tied their hands with budgetary restrictions.

The pivotal question is whether US government assets are involved in the transition. If it is, then Congressional approval is needed for the transition. If not, then Congress has no say in the matter. Although there are those with strong opinions in this matter either way, the plain truth is that we don't know legally whether property is or is not involved in the transition. In the recent Weinstein decision the DC Circuit Court chose not to consider, for example, whether cctld's are property. A request that the GAO determine whether or not US government assets are involved in the transition is not expected to be completed before the transition date of October 1st.

Larry Strickling has indicated that the NTIA intends to let the current contract expire on September 30th. I hope he does more than that. My fear:

1. President Trump will simply issue a request for tender for a new contract. The mere fact that the contract expires does not mean a new contract could not be tendered and awarded after a lapse in time. ICANN obviously could protest and go to court. Would it? Probably not if it wanted to be awarded the contract. This would be a real challenge for our community;

2. Third parties, with perhaps some Congressional support, could find standing to challenge the transition on grounds of the property argument, standing being granted before the court on the basis of injury resulting from the transfer. This case would be so unique there is no way of knowing the outcome.

These are the dangers of a soft transition. It can be easily challenged post transition, with ultimate control reverting back to the United States government in certain cases. The ideal would be a hard transition, property being recognized and Congress signing off on the deal. That may not be possible due to the highly political nature of everything in Washington these days. Hopefully the NTIA will find a way to signal in concrete terms it's legal authority and intention to transition ICANN away from US government oversight, something more than mere contract nonrenewal.

In any case, expect lawsuits and a bit of uncertainty after the transition occurs. In the United States much public policy is made through court action or inaction. I fully expect that will happen here.

As a Stakeholder Group, following the transition the best way to secure it permanently is to act and function as if it has occurred and is not subject to challenge. Work with us to finish work stream two, let's get as many people as possible in the working groups (in an SG of 500+ people how can it be that often there are only two of us in the RPM working group meetings?) ...if we just start making the transition work, the political salience will drop and independence will be achieved.

Thanks for reading. I'm sorry for the length but I was the only Councilor mentioned in Milton's post and his comments could be perceived in a way that just isn't true. I'm quite sure there was no ill intent there. What I'm sadly discovering is that if you just sit here, follow the crowd, do a little, blend in, things are pretty easy. When you lead, challenge, provoke and think independently you become a target or, at least, subject to being misunderstood. So be it.

As we get closer to the transition, there are three people I hope we as a Stakeholder Group will find a way to acknowledge and thanks. Thomas Rickert, Leon Sanchez and Mathieu Weill have done an amazing job as tri-chairs of the CCWG and when this is all over we need to make sure they know how much we appreciate all that they have done. Some of us have sacrificed a lot to make this happen but these three men - all with small children at home - have sacrificed their entire lives for two years. They are heroes to the multi-stakeholder movement - or should be. Let's make sure they know it!

Kind Regards,

Ed Morris