let us not succumb to diremption over this thread...

On Aug 23, 2016, at 14:35, avri doria <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On 23-Aug-16 00:32, Norbert Klein wrote:
"*dirempt*"? - I am still "not among the English mother tongue" guys.

https://www.wordnik.com/words/dirempt

 dirempt

 * Define <https://www.wordnik.com/words/dirempt#define>
 * Relate <https://www.wordnik.com/words/dirempt#relate>
 * List <https://www.wordnik.com/words/dirempt#lists>
 * Discuss <https://www.wordnik.com/words/dirempt#discuss>
 * See <https://www.wordnik.com/words/dirempt#see>
 * Hear <https://www.wordnik.com/words/dirempt#hear>
 * Love <https://www.wordnik.com/words/dirempt#>

   Definitions

     from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

 * adj. Distinct; separate; secrete; divided.
 * v. To separate; to divide; to break off.

     from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary
     of English

 * adj. Divided; separated.
 * transitive v. To separate by force; to tear apart.

     from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

 * To separate by violence; put asunder; break off.
 * Parted; separated.

   Etymologies

From the Latin /diremptus/ ("separated”, “divided"), the past participle
of /dirimō/ ("I separate”, “I divide"), formed
as /dir-/ (/prevocalic/ variant of /dis-/ ("apart”, “asunder"))
+ /emō/ ("I take"); compare /dirempt²/. (Wiktionary)
From the Latin dirempt-, the past participial stem of dirimō. /Prima
facie/, the derivation of the verb appears identical with that of the
adjective; however, whilst closely related, each carries a subtly
different /semantic/ force — the verb takes merely the form of the Latin
participle, whereas the adjective takes its meaning as well. (Wiktionary)

Norbert